Refugium before or after skimmer/reactor?

ReeferRedSox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Newbie setting up my first saltwater tank and about to plumb it all together. I'm adding a sump with cheato and it would seem to make sense to place the fuge right after the discharge and BEFORE filtration so it consumes the most nutrients and reduces the load on the filter, however, I'm seeing diagrams (BRS below) with it after. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!
1703347363858.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer and socks are in the first chamber. Chaeto refugium in the second. I never even considered running the fuge before filtration because I didn't want the chaeto becoming a detritus trap. One time I ran without socks that happened and the chaeto got so full of crap I had to pull it and start a fresh batch.

OP
OP
R

ReeferRedSox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice schematic! You've got the skimmer before the fuge. Getting to my question - why not let the Cheato soak up the nutrients before the skimmer?

OP
OP
R

ReeferRedSox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer and socks are in the first chamber. Chaeto refugium in the second. I never even considered running the fuge before filtration because I didn't want the chaeto becoming a detritus trap. One time I ran without socks that happened and the chaeto got so full of crap I had to pull it and start a fresh batch.
Thanks - I will definitely run it through socks before the Chaeto to remove solids, but why not let the Cheato feast on the dissolved nutrients before removal by the skimmer and reactor?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not skim some out first? Either way they are removed. Most of the water that dumps into the skimmer chamber will pass through un-skimmed anyway.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is set up "the Triton way" with:

Refugium -> Skimmer -> Return

No socks, no roller - just a large well lid fuge.

1000001851.jpg

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice schematic! You've got the skimmer before the fuge. Getting to my question - why not let the Cheato soak up the nutrients before the skimmer?
that is a concern of mine, that's why I split the Primary Drains to feed each compartment simultaneously.

as mentioned above, I did not think it would be good to rob the refugium of all the nutrients, but I also don't want it to turn into a detritus dump.

I'm not sure of an end result, just a set-up that can be messaged into a fully functioning sump. e.g., better to have it and not need it then to try and implement something into a "fix"

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I will definitely run it through socks before the Chaeto to remove solids, but why not let the Cheato feast on the dissolved nutrients before removal by the skimmer and reactor?
It's just the way I set it up. No real reason but it works. I have no problem growing chaeto and have so much life in it I won't even harvest until it's overflowing. I skim very dry and could go a month without emptying the cup so the skimmer isn't pulling a lot out of the water.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the order of filtration makes any difference from a filtration standpoint other than having the mechanical filtration first (if you even want that). I don't even do socks or other mechanical filtration - just straight into the refugium and then the skimmer and pump in the return section. The idea that one section will deprive the other of nutrients is silly. The amount of nutrient removal on a single pass is miniscule. Try testing the inlet and outlet of your refugium or skimmer and see if you can find any statistical difference. Do what makes the most sense from a flow standpoint. I like the refugium first simply because I can maximize the level and hence volume in it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the order of filtration makes any difference from a filtration standpoint other than having the mechanical filtration first (if you even want that). I don't even do socks or other mechanical filtration - just straight into the refugium and then the skimmer and pump in the return section. The idea that one section will deprive the other of nutrients is silly. The amount of nutrient removal on a single pass is miniscule. Try testing the inlet and outlet of your refugium or skimmer and see if you can find any statistical difference. Do what makes the most sense from a flow standpoint. I like the refugium first simply because I can maximize the level and hence volume in it.
Spot on! We have the same philosophy and approach :upside-down-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back