Refugium doesn't want to happen.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I have been working on my Refugium and it's hair algae problem. I have been fighting the green hair algae in my refugium for a few months. I recently tried a blackout for a week, and it seemed to get rid of most of it, then I got everything running again and began to dose Chaeto-Gro but it seems to be growing back on the Chaeto. I added about 10 Turbo Snails as well and doesnt seem to be helping much. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove all the algae except chaeto. Remove turbo snails and put them in DT, Don't dose for algae, maybe some iron. The chaeto should/will out compete the hair.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have gha in your display tank? If not or not a take over of gha, then the refugium is doing exactly what it is supposed to do... Do you know what the difference is between a refugium and a sump is?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have gha in your display tank? If not or not a take over of gha, then the refugium is doing exactly what it is supposed to do... Do you know what the difference is between a refugium and a sump is?

Nope, nothing in my display at all. I mean yes and no. I want chaeto not hair algae lol.

Of course I do, but I again, want to grow chaeto not hair algae.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, nothing in my display at all. I mean yes and no. I want chaeto not hair algae lol.

Of course I do, but I again, want to grow chaeto not hair algae.
Why do you want cheato when gha is a better nutrient exporter and is easier to grow? Because it looks ugly?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d much rather have GHA in my fuge than in my display! Honestly, whatever keeps the display clean should be welcome.

Look at it this way, you have a fuge sized algae scrubber!

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally agree with madreefer and think GHA in the refugium can be a good thing. It helps with export and gives pods more places to live. However, as your chaeto grows, simply remove the gha manually every other week or whatever. As the chaeto grows and takes over the fuge it will eventually outcompete the GHA and it won't be a problem anymore. Just be patient with it.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you don’t want it. So let’s see what we can do to help them.
What light are you using for your fuge?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Its harder to clean and dont want to risk it spreading to my display.
Just an FYI, if gha is in your fuge than it’s also in your DT.... it doesn’t magically appear in one and not the other since it’s a closed system lol
you are unable to stop the actual spores, but if strands get in the DT it just would t matter.

Back