Refugium for Frag Tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter herefishy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

herefishy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently involved in a discussion regarding the pros and cons of keeping a DSB or any SB in a refugium for a reef tank. It brings to mind a frag tank. I just broke down my 45g reef and transferred everything (except some LR) over to my 150g reef. I have set up the 45 as a frag tank. It has a refugium area that was in use when the tank was a reef, but now it is bare bottom with only about 20lbs of LR I had no room for in my 150. Thinking the tank needs the bio filtering qualities of the rock (it is on an opposite light schedule than the display) I feel glad to keep it there. BUT, and here is the question, does the tank need the SB in the fuge if it is a frag tank that has mainly sps frags in it? How do others run a successful frag tank? I am running a skimmer also, of course.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new