Refugium Frag Tank

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any made their sump tank refugium as their frag tank? I have a pretty large refugium in my trigger emerald 36 sump that is mostly idle space. Think I could throw a wave maker, a decent light and poof…frag tank without having to support another tank. Only real downside I see is cleaning it. Thoughts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually best to have macro algae in that area. Will also need room and ventilation for the proper lighting if keeping coral there.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually best to have macro algae in that area. Will also need room and ventilation for the proper lighting if keeping coral there.
I figured I could put macro algae in the same first chamber with my skimmer as there is lots of room in there. The ventilation is a good angle I never considered. Thanks!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I could put macro algae in the same first chamber with my skimmer as there is lots of room in there. The ventilation is a good angle I never considered. Thanks!!
Running one light for algae plus another thats strong enough to be a frag light will generate a lot of heat. Usually sumps are closed off in a cabinet. Just some thoughts

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running one light for algae plus another thats strong enough to be a frag light will generate a lot of heat. Usually sumps are closed off in a cabinet. Just some thoughts
A small vent cooling fan is only 20 bucks. Any other things you could think that would be a problem? I really don’t have the growth to support or justify a frag tank right now, but thinking aspirationally. .

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has any made their sump tank refugium as their frag tank? I have a pretty large refugium in my trigger emerald 36 sump that is mostly idle space. Think I could throw a wave maker, a decent light and poof…frag tank without having to support another tank. Only real downside I see is cleaning it. Thoughts?
I have a sump being used as a refugium for frags. Put an XR15 G4 over it and it works really well. I put my scoly’s in there for easy feeding since my display tank is tall.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. I was worried I was going into new territory or places that people knew better than to go due to past failures. Thanks!! Luckily, I have time

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s awesome. I was worried I was going into new territory or places that people knew better than to go due to past failures. Thanks!! Luckily, I have time
Here is the other post

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the other post

Thank you so much!! Great read. The other thing i thought was interesting is the putting all of your eggs in one basket concern...ie, if you main tank crashes..so does your frag tank and thus you have nothing to seed your tank with.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back