refugium help

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i just ordered the refugium starter pack from algae barn and i need some help.
ok so my tank has been running for 10 months and i’ve been using these fluval biomax rings for my media and i have an all in one tank and i wanna start the refugium in the first chamber where they are.
so my question is can i remove all the old media and put the bio cubes in there and the turbo start and will it be fine or will my tank crash if i do that.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i decided to remove half of my entire ceramic media and syphoned out some detritus but can someone tell me why my nitrates went from two to zero

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine. If you added chaeto, it probably used all of your NO3. Do you use a skimmer? I have to turn off my skimmer and I have had to turn down my fuge light from 10 hours down to 6, I run it for 45 minutes, then 30 off throughout the night, opposite of my DT. I run my skimmer for 2 hours, then off for 3. This is beginning to help my NO3 and PO4 to not bottom out.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine. If you added chaeto, it probably used all of your NO3. Do you use a skimmer? I have to turn off my skimmer and I have had to turn down my fuge light from 10 hours down to 6, I run it for 45 minutes, then 30 off throughout the night, opposite of my DT. I run my skimmer for 2 hours, then off for 3. This is beginning to help my NO3 and PO4 to not bottom out.
i didn’t get the algae yet the kit hasn't arrived yet

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s because i’m fighting gha and also a better filtration than what i had
If you have GHA, your NO3 and PO4 is in it. Remove as much as possible each day and increase your CUC. Trochus and turbans will do a good job. Don't really worry about testing NO3 and PO4 until after the GHA is gone. It is all wrapped up in the algae.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have GHA, your NO3 and PO4 is in it. Remove as much as possible each day and increase your CUC. Trochus and turbans will do a good job. Don't really worry about testing NO3 and PO4 until after the GHA is gone. It is all wrapped up in the algae.
ok i got 4 astrea snails and two tiny trochus and then a one inch turbo snail and then a huge turbo that hasn’t really moved much should i remove the bigger turbo

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i got 4 astrea snails and two tiny trochus and then a one inch turbo snail and then a huge turbo that hasn’t really moved much should i remove the bigger turbo
Here is a great video to watch.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This, once you get the cheato in manually remove as much gha as possible manually, you want the cheato to use the nutrients not the gha. :)

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a great video to watch.
ok i’ll check that out

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, once you get the cheato in manually remove as much gha as possible manually, you want the cheato to use the nutrients not the gha. :)
ok when i get it in the next few days because it said shipping would be 2-3 days should i do a water change and remove as much as i can

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok when i get it in the next few days because it said shipping would be 2-3 days should i do a water change and remove as much as i can

No rush for a water change but yes this time because you are doing the manual removing which will stir up crud, be patient because it will take time to balance and get the cheato being the boss.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for the help and should i stop using vibrant i heard it can kill macro algae
I don't use anything like that. I am not against it, but I trying to use natural methods as much as possible. Vibrant is great at removing some algae, but not others. GHA is easy to remove so I wouldn't use it. It's also cheaper to just manually remove and use a CUC. If your CUC doesn't eat it, replace the CUC. They do get lazy and will wait for you to feed them.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No rush for a water change but yes this time because you are doing the manual removing which will stir up crud, be patient because it will take time to balance and get the cheato being the boss.
ok should i run the light when my tank is completely black

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use anything like that. I am not against it, but I trying to use natural methods as much as possible. Vibrant is great at removing some algae, but not others. GHA is easy to remove so I wouldn't use it. It's also cheaper to just manually remove and use a CUC. If your CUC doesn't eat it, replace the CUC. They do get lazy and will wait for you to feed them.
ok well mine comes out at night for some reason except for this one turbo snail that dosent move very much

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back