Refugium ideas

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9273.jpeg

Above is a picture of the sump for my 125 gallon tank. I am trying to figure out how I could add a refugium to this without shutting the tank down. This tank is my first saltwater adventure and it has been up and running for about 6 months now.

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should point out this is an acrylic sump and has a precut lid for both the drain pipes and the open area I am envisioning the refugium going.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your goals for the fuge?
n&P export?
looks like your not using much of the vertical space of the sump. looks like wasted space.

I would add the an Algae turf scrubber for n&p export then real ocean live rock and or live sand that would give you more biodiversity to the tank as well and keep it clean with the scrubber.

if you do get LR from the ocean QT it for a while to get out all the pet hitchhikers.

might want to condicer just making a new sump with a 40br or 60br that way you can custom make your chamber to what you want.
they just swap out the sumps and the tank should not miss a bet. just an idea. there are lots of blue prints on here how to build a sump.

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to use the fuge to grow macro algae and pod population. I still plan on putting a protein skimmer in the sump too. At this point I wanted to add some walls inside the sump but didn't know if that was possible. The thought being that the walls would create compartments and raise the water level.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to use the fuge to grow macro algae and pod population. I still plan on putting a protein skimmer in the sump too. At this point I wanted to add some walls inside the sump but didn't know if that was possible. The thought being that the walls would create compartments and raise the water level.
yes it will. that would be the way to go, however you will have to take the sump off line in order to do that.
most silicone will not adhere to acrylic FYI.

I am sure someone clever might have a way to do it while it running, but I cant think of one.

if there is plents of flow in the DT the sump can be off line for a few days no problem.

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT has plenty of flow, so that solves that issue. Now I just have to find a silicone that works on acrylic. I have heard mixed things on the GE silicone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back