Refugium in a nano tank

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval evo 13.5g all in one tank and was wanting to do a refugium in the over flow and wasn't really sure how to go about it as ive never even done a refugium. And if I did would I still need filter media or would a refugium be enough? Thanks in advance.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard others converting the compartment on the left of the sponge chamber into a refugium... I just recently added chaeto and leds to the chamber. I'll tell you how it works out.
Also, filter media is more for catching sedimentation and debris (mechanical filtration) rather than to decrease nitrates or increase biocapacity. So technically the refugium serves a different purpose.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard others converting the compartment on the left of the sponge chamber into a refugium... I just recently added chaeto and leds to the chamber. I'll tell you how it works out.
Also, filter media is more for catching sedimentation and debris (mechanical filtration) rather than to decrease nitrates or increase biocapacity. So technically the refugium serves a different purpose.
So your useing the let chamber?

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the right chamber has the pump so the chaeto may clog the pump

66D23962-5FB8-4560-B97E-E3A86266BA4E.jpeg

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I thought about putting a screen on top of the pump then putting the chaeto on top of the screen so the pump don't suck it up.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that small the cheato isn’t going to do anything noticeable in terms of nutrient reduction. The only thing nano tanks need is regular water changes.

OP
OP
Redneck19261

Redneck19261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that small the cheato isn’t going to do anything noticeable in terms of nutrient reduction. The only thing nano tanks need is regular water changes.
I do a one gallon water change every week. I mainly want it for copepods for my manderin goby

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should NOT keep a mandarin goby in a tank that small under ANY circumstances.
they eat pods WAY TOO FAST. Even people with 75g tanks get their pop population decimated in a couple weeks.
putting a mandarin in a tank that small is irresponsible IMO.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I disnt know that. I havnt had him long. My local fish store said it was ok
Unfortunately a lot of stores care more about selling you something than they do about the well-being of the creatures they are selling. :(
I would steer clear from that store in the future personally.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that your store mislead you. The Mandarin is not going to last in that tank, so better to return it than watch it perish.

You can always do some research here and try again when you are ready. Having a larger, more mature tank and learning to culture some live foods will get you there. Good luck!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Well that sucks I really like the Mandarin
If the LFS knew your tank was that small, you need a new LFS. They sold you a fish that they will take back for free when it gets skinny from lack of food. Always research everything you buy in this hobby, because LFS is there mainly to make money, not looking out for you.

Back