Refugium in AIO tank

SD_Reefer_Madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up a jbj rf 65 all in one tank, and I’m thinking of using one of the chambers in the back to build a nano fuge. Will it even be beneficial with a smaller amount of chaeto? I do eventually want a mandarin golby, so I figure it would be a good spot to house copepods. Thoughts?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work, sometimes too good for nutrient reduction, it’ll also help with a home for pods, not sure it would support enough pods for a mandarin, you would probably need other sources of pods for the fish.

OP
OP
SD_Reefer_Madness

SD_Reefer_Madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My man, thank you for the info. Any advice on which chamber it should go in? I’m thinking first or second since it would probably get caught up in the return pumps in the third

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My man, thank you for the info. Any advice on which chamber it should go in? I’m thinking first or second since it would probably get caught up in the return pumps in the third

There is a guy on YT that runs JBJs I think he gets a dollar every time he says JBJ from the company as he says it a lot ;) can’t remember if he ran a ref in his but he has some amazing tanks, worth a watch of his channel, I don’t think he’s very active on there at the min but check out his past vids.

OP
OP
SD_Reefer_Madness

SD_Reefer_Madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy on YT that runs JBJs I think he gets a dollar every time he says JBJ from the company as he says it a lot ;) can’t remember if he ran a ref in his but he has some amazing tanks, worth a watch of his channel, I don’t think he’s very active on there at the min but check out his past vids.

Ol CJ? Haha watched his stuff before, he’s definitely about his JBJ products. I watched most of his build on the 65 gallon, he was running an in sump algae scrubber. Kinda where I got the idea to run a fuge in a chambers

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ol CJ? Haha watched his stuff before, he’s definitely about his JBJ products. I watched most of his build on the 65 gallon, he was running an in sump algae scrubber. Kinda where I got the idea to run a fuge in a chambers

if my tank I would start without one, see how you go then add one if you feel the need, with an aio, I feel the best option is keep it simple at the start and add stuff you need when you need it, as the space is so limited.

And as said it would help with pods for the mandarin but if that is your main reason for wanting one I would wait as it probably would only make a dent in the amount of pods you are going to need.

OP
OP
SD_Reefer_Madness

SD_Reefer_Madness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if my tank I would start without one, see how you go then add one if you feel the need, with an aio, I feel the best option is keep it simple at the start and add stuff you need when you need it, as the space is so limited.

And as said it would help with pods for the mandarin but if that is your main reason for wanting one I would wait as it probably would only make a dent in the amount of pods you are going to need.
I was thinking of going that route, but it would be a huge pain to move the tank out to cut out the backing sticker and mount the light once it’s full. Maybe I should just go with a tunze comline and save myself some grief?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of going that route, but it would be a huge pain to move the tank out to cut out the backing sticker and mount the light once it’s full. Maybe I should just go with a tunze comline and save myself some grief?

you could cut the back now and cover it, if you really think you would want one down the line but sounds as if it’s mainly for pods, if it is, the skimmer is the way I would go, don’t want to labour the point too much but a mandarin eats thousands of pods a day, a small ref is not going to support that many.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back