Refugium in drain chamber?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GOSKN5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GOSKN5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2012
Messages
983
Reaction score
754
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to incorporate a refugium in my sump, for the benefits and because I think it's cool :)...

My sump is very simple, one drain into filter sock in first chamber, one baffle followed by skimmer and return pump in a shared chamber.

Any reason I cannot make the first chamber where the return empties the refugium? It has a large filter sock hanging in it which isn't ideal, but does reduce flow nicely into that chamber.

Will the light hitting the sock have any effect? I change it twice a week and clean anyway.... thoughts?

pic of sump for reference.. (flows left to right)..

5324a580ad2fb38f6356bb8a96447e26.jpg
 
Nothing stopping you, except you might have difficulty lighting around the sock as you mentioned, effectively reducing the size of your fuge. On the other hand, with no sock the inflow could tumble a chaeto ball nicely without a need for an extra powerhead.

Also, if your chaeto sheds curls, your skimmer could suck them up and see a reduction in efficiency. Been there, done that - after a while its no fun picking the weed knits outta your skimmer's teeth.
 
So correct! The skimmer might shred up some algae and release it into your DT
 
What if I put a small egg crate or similar with mesh over it to catch any escaped cheato etc? Have to clean it obviously, maybe more trouble than worth.... any other ideas?
 
What if I put a small egg crate or similar with mesh over it to catch any escaped cheato etc? Have to clean it obviously, maybe more trouble than worth.... any other ideas?
move the skimmer.
 
There isn't a baffle in the second chamber... so the skimmer and return pump share that space...
 
yea I was surprised by that. You don't get micro bubbles in the DT without the baffle?
you could always add acrylic and make a third chamber.
personally I think your fine w chato in the first chamber too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new