Refugium in Fluval Evo 13.5

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone!

This is my first post in the forum! :) I'm looking for information on creating a refugium in the second chamber of my Fluval Evo 13.5 has anyone done this? If so, did it make a difference in the nutrient levels in your tank? I'm worried that the refugium would be too small to make any noticeable difference. I'd appreciate any input or tips! Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the lid on? If not, fijicube makes great HOB refugiums. and also, if you wanted to try it, you could get a thin sponge to keep it in the chamber. As long as you get the right light and keep the inside of the glass clean it should work.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the lid on? If not, fijicube makes great HOB refugiums. and also, if you wanted to try it, you could get a thin sponge to keep it in the chamber. As long as you get the right light and keep the inside of the glass clean it should work.
I've got a Figicube HOB refugium. It works great on my IM nuvo 20p.
DSC02560.JPG

OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the lid on, but I am eventually planning to upgrade the lighting, at which point I would remove the lid. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out the figicube.

OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question for you both. Do you get any of the algae from you refugium in your display tank?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do get some algae growing in the refugium. I suck it out along with the crap at the bottom of the refugium about once a month. I do put a piece of filter floss(I change it daily,takes 30 seconds) under the refugium overflow to stop cheato from getting into my sump pump. Very little cheato comes out the overflow. I bought the refugium off Ebay for like $109.00. It holds 1 and 1/2 gallons of water, It's the medium size.
DSC02561.JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question for you both. Do you get any of the algae from you refugium in your display tank?

I get some hair algae on the sides and did for a little bit get it on my macro but right now I only have dinos in there (but that's not a problem you would typically have). I really don't get any algae in the display except coraline and glass algae.

Vinnys reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O sorry just read wh
I like that one wish I would have seen that before I bout the small cpr HOB ref where did you buy yours

EE979D3D-5F63-4D4B-B5DB-494D6B24197C.jpeg 83CF60FE-BB27-4C42-884F-678268ED3D1B.jpeg
[/QUOTE
I do get some algae growing in the refugium. I suck it out along with the crap at the bottom of the refugium about once a month. I do put a piece of filter floss(I change it daily,takes 30 seconds) under the refugium overflow to stop cheato from getting into my sump pump. Very little cheato comes out the overflow. I bought the refugium off Ebay for like $109.00. It holds 1 and 1/2 gallons of water, It's the medium size.
DSC02561.JPG
o sorry just seen where you bought it nice set up

stefcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a HOB with the EVO, the second chamber is perfect for a small refugium.

Once my tank was cycle with Dr Tim (took one week), I started a refugium in the second chamber of my EVO, I put a small ball of chaeto and a generic grow light from amazon on the side of the tank.
20200118_214141.jpg

The cheato will grow to the full size of the chamber in a week, my Nitrate went to over 50 to 0 in 2 weeks (with only one 20% water change during the process). Since then I have not have any Nitrates reading.
Screenshot_20200121-110718_Evernote.jpg
20200124_011127.jpg

The first week, my grow light was on 24/7, the second week I scale down to 12 hours, I'm now only using a 8h photoperiod and still don't have any Nitrates.

Keep in mind the tank is young (6 week) and the bioload is just 2 very small clownfish.
20200116_185703.jpg

Finally, I haven't add any algea in the display.

OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a HOB with the EVO, the second chamber is perfect for a small refugium.

Once my tank was cycle with Dr Tim (took one week), I started a refugium in the second chamber of my EVO, I put a small ball of chaeto and a generic grow light from amazon on the side of the tank.
20200118_214141.jpg

The cheato will grow to the full size of the chamber in a week, my Nitrate went to over 50 to 0 in 2 weeks (with only one 20% water change during the process). Since then I have not have any Nitrates reading.
Screenshot_20200121-110718_Evernote.jpg
20200124_011127.jpg

The first week, my grow light was on 24/7, the second week I scale down to 12 hours, I'm now only using a 8h photoperiod and still don't have any Nitrates.

Keep in mind the tank is young (6 week) and the bioload is just 2 very small clownfish.
20200116_185703.jpg

Finally, I haven't add any algea in the display.
Thanks for the info! I am planning to turn my second chamber into a refugium. It will take awhile, since I'll have to save up for some equipment. But when it's done, I'll post here!

stefcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only cost was the light for under 20$ from Amazon, come with 2 panel, you only need one, so you have a spare in case!!!

Got some cheato locally from a fellow reefer...

corky1618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My only cost was the light for under 20$ from Amazon, come with 2 panel, you only need one, so you have a spare in case!!!

Got some cheato locally from a fellow reefer...

Hi, I bought a similar item and was trying to make an algae scrubber but it is a pain to clean it out. How is your refugium doing? I looked at your setup, are you just putting filter floss below to prevent the cheato from going to the return compartment? Is it pretty easy to maintain? The problem I have is that the back of my tank is against the wall on my desk and my light is attached there so not much room and I have to remove the light every time to remove the algae basket. It would be much easier to just remove the cheato.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back