Refugium in IM Nuvo

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned a refugium for several months, but than life happened and I put most everything on the back burner.
Over the last few months the reef has flourished. There is only one small watchman goby and pistol shrimp (assorted hermits, and emerald crab, and multiple snails - asst) I feed very sparingly and don't seem to have issue with either PO4 or NO3 as a result. Putting in a refugium to reduce these isn't needed, but I do want a happy healthy mandarin (life long desire) in there and think using a refug as a pod production farm.
Okay, now finally my question......has anyone used one of the rear compartments of their IM Nuvo as a mini refugium? How did you light it?
Transferring pods to main tank? Manual transfer or let the return pump do the work (and hope the pods aren't ripped to shreds)
Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

20131111_193747.jpg

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too......
Any idea on how to best light such a small area?

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed definitly set up the fuge! also add a few very porous rocks to the fuge to give the pods a place to multiply and then just add them to your tank every week or so to seed the tank!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well you could either run a small lamp over top of it, or use that sumbersible light I linked.. that's what a lot of people use on AC filters and the nanocube style tanks to make fuges....

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, depending on the size of the back compartment, either of the two links I provided should work.. IDK much about IM tanks..

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed definitly set up the fuge! also add a few very porous rocks to the fuge to give the pods a place to multiply and then just add them to your tank every week or so to seed the tank!
Thanks! Would you suggest placing the rock rubble on the bottom of the refug section and the cheato on top?

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! I like the underwater light (not just because of the price LOL )

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, made from a black acrylic material.

Nuvos are all glass. The black plastic can peel off. Make a cut with a razor blade that you want to remove and it should come off using your finger nail.
2ageme2e.jpg

Its made like that for this exact reason. Nuvu makes a magnetic fuge light for $99 that will work from the exterior of the tank.

Last edited:

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Would you suggest placing the rock rubble on the bottom of the refug section and the cheato on top?

in a normal fuge I like the use of rubble for pods and as a stash to glue frags on when the time comes, but I would advise against putting rubble in the back section of your AIO.. it's going to be a detritus trap, and that's a tiny space to try to siphon out.. aslo, probably a bit tight to get your hand into if you need to pull it out.. just my .02

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the back is painted glass on my IM 24. My plan is to scrape the paint off in the ref chamber and stick something like a nano glow on it.

Should be a black laminate not paint

OP
OP
Rikerbear

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna find out today....planning to take a razor blade to that section and see what damage I can do :tongue:

Back