Refugium light.....Is spending the big $ on Kessil worth it?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m straight up talking about bang for buck lighting for people that make their money off marijuana gains. :)
Oh THAT weed ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m straight up talking about bang for buck lighting for people that make their money off marijuana gains. :)
Not to Sidetrack the discussion or anything but I've never tried it. and I honestly want to as soon as it becomes legal in my state.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to Sidetrack the discussion or anything but I've never tried it. and I honestly want to as soon as it becomes legal in my state.

I haven’t had it since undergrad. I’m a pharmacist so even once it’s legal there will probably be a “professional” hurdle to get past.

Speaking from a scientific and practical standpoint, it’s ridiculous that you can legally drink alcohol but not smoke weed. I really miss the anti-anxiety effects of thc and can’t wait until it’s legal for other disease states to benefit from the drug. This is what happens when big pharma opioid lobbyists control the fda/dea :)

719bloodhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin the H380, grows Chaeto in like crazy! Like everything else you get what you pay for.
Do you though? To me it seems like 100 some watts of heavy red with some blues can be done for cheaper. I love brs but this video series didn’t include any other horticulture led options. I really think the kessil and the mars hydro would be neck to neck in this series. They just don’t sell it :)

CoralStop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a regular household led lightbulb for my refugium, I’ve never had anything grow chaeto faster

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you though? To me it seems like 100 some watts of heavy red with some blues can be done for cheaper. I love brs but this video series didn’t include any other horticulture led options. I really think the kessil and the mars hydro would be neck to neck in this series. They just don’t sell it :)
Yes I do...

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run an h380 and while it is true that there is no intensity knob I really didn't have any problems moving up from the h80 I was previously using. I also have a fairly low stand so the light is likely only 8" over the water surface running on a 12 hour reverse lighting cycle. no chaeto burning to speak of whatsoever.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h380 is causing a low nutrient issue in my tank now, have a bali tri tip who does not like 1-2ppm nitrate.... time to lower the time it is on
I'm relieved to read this. I just changed my sump in favour of a larger fuse for growing chaeto and want to use it as my primary source of nutrient control.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said this in some other threads, the home hydroponics hobby (the guys growing tomatoes ;) ) in their basements, have done all the math on this and it checks out. Yeah the Kessil kicks serious butt, however at three times the cost of something that works 90% as well. Sorry, I can't justify the extra $$$.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something here? For Chaeto to grow like " weed " one needs "excess "nutrients in the system also ! It's not all about a 300 $ plus light !
this is definitely part of it. however, along with my skimmer I am relying on my refugium as my main method for nutrient control. this means I need to provide the best possible environment to support photosynthesis. I have been through other refugium lighting options and this is the front-runner so far.
yes it's expensive, nobody is denying that; but its also passive, consistent and even with electricity costs is still cheaper than gfo was for me.
on another note, I do find it amusing that a hobbiest spends $300 on a refugium light and gets flack for it but I have yet to read anyone getting scoffed at for buying a fancy skimmer, top-end return pump or designer fish when cheaper options are available.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something here? For Chaeto to grow like " weed " one needs "excess "nutrients in the system also ! It's not all about a 300 $ plus light !

Of course not; however, the h380 'turbocharges' chaeto growth in a way that no other light I have used (and I have used many) does. Whether it is 'worth' $300 is an individual choice.

Back