Refugium light.....Is spending the big $ on Kessil worth it?

Gasman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOWDY!

I'm looking to replace the cheap LED fixture over the fuge and was wondering what people are using. I have a fuge that's about 12"x30"x24+" deep(tall). I was looking for something with the right light wavelength meant to grow algae and the power to reach to the bottom . I was thinking about a Kessil fixture but, being as spendy as they are, I was amazed to find out the H380 has no light intensity adjustment. What are some other units people are using? I've read some of the other threads on fuge lights but, don't see anything about a deeper/ smaller width fuge........or do I just stick with the ebay LED's.

Bob

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOWDY!

I'm looking to replace the cheap LED fixture over the fuge and was wondering what people are using. I have a fuge that's about 12"x30"x24+" deep(tall). I was looking for something with the right light wavelength meant to grow algae and the power to reach to the bottom . I was thinking about a Kessil fixture but, being as spendy as they are, I was amazed to find out the H380 has no light intensity adjustment. What are some other units people are using? I've read some of the other threads on fuge lights but, don't see anything about a deeper/ smaller width fuge........or do I just stick with the ebay LED's.

Bob
The kessil isn't adjustable unfortunately. But a way to increase or decrease the amount of light the algae is getting is to raise or lower it over your water level. I currently use it at 10 inches off the waters surface. Wish I could go higher, but the chaeto will eventually acclimate to that light level :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an H series controller that can adjust intensity on the H380 - but that adds $110 to the entry fee. Not had a great deal of luck with ebay/amazon grow lights. They either end up flickering or failing quickly.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an H series controller that can adjust intensity on the H380 - but that adds $110 to the entry fee.
Not the H380. The H380 is simple on off controlled. The H series controller applies to the H80 and the H1200. The H380 is not controllable :) I simply use a digital on/off timer to control it

OP
OP
Gasman

Gasman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessil isn't adjustable unfortunately. But a way to increase or decrease the amount of light the algae is getting is to raise or lower it over your water level. I currently use it at 10 inches off the waters surface. Wish I could go higher, but the chaeto will eventually acclimate to that light level :)

I can go higher, I have the sump and fuge in the basement, tank is upstairs.
HOWDY!

Bob

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can go higher, I have the sump and fuge in the basement, tank is upstairs.
It's recommended 1 foot to 2 foot off the waters surface depended on your fuge size :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the H380. The H380 is simple on off controlled. The H series controller applies to the H80 and the H1200. The H380 is not controllable :) I simply use a digital on/off timer to control it

Glad I didn't buy one then .......

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My H380 grows cheato thick and dense, I tried the cheapo 50$ light first and look back at a wasted 50$.

IMG_8521.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree. Major design flaw..BUT I've already got one so is what it is lol

I meant glad I didn't buy the controller ... I've been using the H380 since it came out; though I run it on full power anyhow so no biggie.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h380 is causing a low nutrient issue in my tank now, have a bali tri tip who does not like 1-2ppm nitrate.... time to lower the time it is on

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant glad I didn't buy the controller ... I've been using the H380 since it came out; though I run it on full power anyhow so no biggie.
Lol, sorry. Misunderstood :)

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my long time macro algae experience, there is nothing that grows algae better than the H380. I have been running it now for almost a year. It grows so much so fast it blows my mind. Go to my build thread below and check out the last four or five pages and you will see some examples - I pull a five gallon buckets worth out every 3-4 weeks.

OP
OP
Gasman

Gasman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control the 80 and the 1200 but, not the 380?.........they didn't think that one through too well. Most of the cheap lights have these controls! I do think the Kessil will probably drive the light deeper towards the bottom in my situation.

Last edited:

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to answer that it's not worth it. Cheap blue white leds built for reef tanks will grow cheato fast. I have the large CPR 5 gal fuge. The cheato packs wall-to-wall like a brick and I have to cut it back hard every two week.

I initially used the fluval marine & reef 1.0 over the fuge with would equate to about 270 par. The full daylight spectrum is very much in line with high end led spectrums save for some deep purple/uv.

I switched them out with a cheap $30 blue white reef LED unit, expecting a reasonable chance it would work, but low and behold, no difference.

I run the lights full 18 hours with 6 hours off mid-day.

I totally understand the BRS experiment, and that algae should do better with more red and green spectrums. But cheato is now where near as temperamental as corals and, in my experience, will grow very aggressively with lighting that can grow soft corals - and there a lots of cheap LEDS on the market that fall into this description.

I think cheap reef LEDS have come a very long way - and while they may lack the new advances that enable LEDs to grow the most difficult SPS corals, I think the cost savings and ability to aggressively grow macro algae make them the better option per dollar.

I have a hydor nano skimmer (not the most powerful) in a heavily fed tank, so with confidence i conclude the cheato is consuming nutrients to where my NO3 is < 1ppm and PO4 .0.04 - 0.08 ppm and thus the cheap lights being part of that equation.

these are the cheap leds that are cranking cheato growth
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X84LVH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control the 80 and the 1200 but, not the 380?.........they didn't think that one through too well. Most of the cheap lights have these controls! I do think the Kessil will probably drive the light deeper towards the bottom in my situation.
The H380 is a hort grow light first and foremost, and has been out for quite a while. Growers don't care about ramping intensity (nor noise for the most part), they want it on and running. The H150's that were spectrum locked don't even have any adjustment knobs, same reason.

I firmly believe they'll be releasing another mid-range option, H160, whatever, that will have both intensity and spectrum functionality eventually. Most likely for the next refresh of the H3XX series as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back