Refugium lighting - chaeto vs hair algae

  • Thread starter Thread starter cablueeyes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cablueeyes

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
New Bern, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have been in the hobby for over 10 yrs specializing in mainly sps. Sold my thriving tank a few years ago and then started over with a 100 nuvo int. I used to use a light from Lowe’s to grow chaeto in my fuge and never had any nuisance algae in sump or display but with this tank I have a kessil h80 on the fuge and I am having a problem with hair algae in the fuge only trying to outcompete the chaeto… any suggestions on lighting if I were to get a new one or what setting this one would best work on?

Some photos of display…

IMG_2061.jpeg IMG_2057.jpeg IMG_2059.jpeg
 
Lighting aside, do you dose iron?

I had this issue long ago and an old time reefer suggested dosing iron. When I tried it, it worked. It is perhaps counter intuitive, but presumably it helped the chaeto grow faster relative to the green hair algae.
 
Lighting aside, do you dose iron?

I had this issue long ago and an old time reefer suggested dosing iron. When I tried it, it worked. It is perhaps counter intuitive, but presumably it helped the chaeto grow faster relative to the green hair algae.
I do not dose iron but have chaeto gro and haven’t used it, was see what afraid of it causing other algae to also grow more. Would that be ok to use ?
 
I do not dose iron but have chaeto gro and haven’t used it, was see what afraid of it causing other algae to also grow more. Would that be ok to use ?

I'd try it, yes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new