Refugium Lighting

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide (sorry if I am in the wrong sub forum) between the Kessil H80, and H160 refugium lights. Currently I'm running 2 ACKE led fixtures over a refugium in my Red Sea 250 sump, which is not very big. I want to use it as my main source of nutrient export for this system. The H80 is noted as being 15 watts, and the H160 is noted as being 40 watts. My ACKE led's are marked at 24-25 watts per fixture, and I'm running 2, pretty close to the surface of the water. Can anyone give me any advice as to which is going to perform the best? I know that may be subjective to an extent, but I'm pretty limited in my experience on this subject. Is the spectrum the kessil's will provide significantly better than that of the ACKE? Or does wattage matter more?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not opposed to the neptune by any means. I just use kessil, and really like them. You've had good experience with the neptune?
I like kessil to due to its small shape but the neptune gro is great because you can move it any direction and place it right at the water surface so no light spillage and unwanted algae in other parts of the sump. It grows chaeto like a weed.

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
immo

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like kessil to due to its small shape but the neptune gro is great because you can move it any direction and place it right at the water surface so no light spillage and unwanted algae in other parts of the sump. It grows chaeto like a weed.
I'm going to look into it. I have an apex on the way. This may be the way that I end up going. Your sump is identical to mine, and it appears to fit really well to the dimensions on that fuge.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to look into it. I have an apex on the way. This may be the way that I end up going. Your sump is identical to mine, and it appears to fit really well to the dimensions on that fuge.
Yea it's designed to work with apex but I don't have one. I run it 12 hours overnight. Cut back large chunk of chaeto every 2 weeks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H160, brighter is better to grow chaeto. Use a pink horticultore led.
Many of us use this, very bright.
Waterproof 100W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, New Technology COB LED Grow Light, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise, Suitable for Plants All Growing Stage Indoor or Outdoor. https://a.co/d/1s31zRA

OP
OP
immo

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H160, brighter is better to grow chaeto. Use a pink horticultore led.
Many of us use this, very bright.
Waterproof 100W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, New Technology COB LED Grow Light, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise, Suitable for Plants All Growing Stage Indoor or Outdoor. https://a.co/d/1s31zRA
I just added that one to my cart last night lol. I’m considering it also. I would prefer to spend less (than a kessil) but I’m not against it.

I’m currently using the ACKE led. It’s also a horticultural light. Intank sells them for their refugium inserts for AIO tanks.

I guess my ultimate question is, is the spectrum worth the money (from kessil) or is the wattage more important?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GROESTAR Growstar 150W Led Grow Light, Full Spectrum UV & IR Plant Light with High Par Value COB Grow Light for Indoor Greenhouse Plants Gardening, Flowering https://a.co/d/dxuUm06

oxy71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have h80 as well, how long do you run the light for and what are the optimal settings? thanks, newbie here

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my h80 had it for 3 years, it grows algae like no one's business. Recently on brs 12 hour stream, Ryan mentioned their new Refugium tests are showing the purple grow lights almost 100% end up with cyano in the display. My tank has persistent cyano. It's always kinda hanging around. I don't mind. It's only on the sand and small amounts. I actually adjust my feeding/nutrients by the cyano visually. Something to think about.

OP
OP
immo

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my h80 had it for 3 years, it grows algae like no one's business. Recently on brs 12 hour stream, Ryan mentioned their new Refugium tests are showing the purple grow lights almost 100% end up with cyano in the display. My tank has persistent cyano. It's always kinda hanging around. I don't mind. It's only on the sand and small amounts. I actually adjust my feeding/nutrients by the cyano visually. Something to think about.
The cyano thing really intrigues me. Is it the mainly red lighting or just the addition of the red lighting. Did they note nutrient levels?

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano thing really intrigues me. Is it the mainly red lighting or just the addition of the red lighting. Did they note nutrient levels?
They said they use full spectrum and burple (red and blue purple kessil spectrum) on multiple different test tanks. The cyano only grew on the burple tanks. Than they swapped lights around the tanks and the cyano followed the burple

jandin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump is set up exactly like mine! Do you experience any issues like algae or slime with so much light next to your RO Reservoir? Mine is currently outside of the cabinet, but I would like to put it inside.

I know RO/DI water has nothing in it for algae to grow or feed off of, but putting a light so close still makes me a bit nervous. You have a LOT less spillage than my refugium light though, which might make the difference.

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is interesting as hell. besides the h80, which is top of my list as my other lights are kessil, are there any budget "white" light options in the mean time?

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide (sorry if I am in the wrong sub forum) between the Kessil H80, and H160 refugium lights. Currently I'm running 2 ACKE led fixtures over a refugium in my Red Sea 250 sump, which is not very big. I want to use it as my main source of nutrient export for this system. The H80 is noted as being 15 watts, and the H160 is noted as being 40 watts. My ACKE led's are marked at 24-25 watts per fixture, and I'm running 2, pretty close to the surface of the water. Can anyone give me any advice as to which is going to perform the best? I know that may be subjective to an extent, but I'm pretty limited in my experience on this subject. Is the spectrum the kessil's will provide significantly better than that of the ACKE? Or does wattage matter more?
NICE! AM in exact same situvation With same aquarium

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

• Other.

Back