Refugium or no Refugium

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3g refugium and I wanted to know if I remove it would there be anything wrong with the system? The refugium and tank has been running for 8m.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't touch it until you have something to replace it with. Would hate for it to fall apart trying to make it better, when its barely leaking(into the sump) now

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve use through hull bulkheads on the bottom of my boat transom that had no gasket, just 5200 and immediately submerged into seawater at 3’ of head pressure and 5200 holes water back and cures

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't touch it until you have something to replace it with. Would hate for it to fall apart trying to make it better, when its barely leaking(into the sump) now
IMO a patch would reinforce it and sturdy it up. We are talking minimal deflection and HP on this little 3 gallon fuge

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. What would be a good alternative for a refugium?

Upvote 0

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a patch would reinforce it and sturdy it up. We are talking minimal deflection and HP on this little 3 gallon fuge
I agree.. my concern is op making it worse while handing it. I suppose if he empties it and is very careful it is very fixable. Worse case scenario, can always just put the refugium contents in a corner of the sump to maintain its function

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar size that holds water and can be plumbed
I agree.. my concern is op making it worse while handing it. I suppose if he empties it and is very careful it is very fixable. Worse case scenario, can always just put the refugium contents in a corner of the sump to maintain its function
i was just thinking if something were to go wrong, just make sure you have a way to isolate it/shut it off and that’s that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar size that holds water and can be plumbed

i was just thinking if something were to go wrong, just make sure you have a way to isolate it/shut it off and that’s that
i do.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's below the cracked tank? Does it go to the bottom of the sump(full sump pic)? Is that a weir separating that section of the sump? Maybe just use that end of sump and let it overflow into neighboring chamber?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's below the cracked tank? Does it go to the bottom of the sump(full sump pic)? Is that a weir separating that section of the sump? Maybe just use that end of sump and let it overflow into neighboring chamber?
my filter socks are underneath the refugium.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my filter socks are underneath the refugium.
You could remove the refugium tank, scoot the return pump and sock(s) to the left, and drop in a Tupperware or rubbermaid container of similar height of sump(a inch shorter) ; drill it high and plumb like you have currently. Let it dump in the sump with or without sock. I'd go without unless you gave bubble problems

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fix this thing for five bucks with no liability. Just pop a patch on it with 5200 and call it a day. It’s not gonna explode, it will instantly sure it up and stop the leak

Upvote 0

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3g refugium and I wanted to know if I remove it would there be anything wrong with the system? The refugium and tank has been running for 8m.
Hello. I have the 3 gallon tank from my redsea 425xl and dont use it. Would be willing to sell if you need one.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back