Refugium or no Refugium

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3g refugium and I wanted to know if I remove it would there be anything wrong with the system? The refugium and tank has been running for 8m.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3g refugium and I wanted to know if I remove it would there be anything wrong with the system? The refugium and tank has been running for 8m.
If your refugium has been growing macro algae and you remove it you may see an increase in your nutrients. If the refugium is external you may need to adjust any dosing you are doing due to the water volume change.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

You will lose whatever nutrient export the refugium was providing.

Upvote 0

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could remove it if you want to, just keep in mind if the refugium is doing well then you’ll need another method of nutrient export if you choose to remove it. If you choose to remove it I would just do a large water change and continue to do water changes as a security blanket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could remove it if you want to, just keep in mind if the refugium is doing well then you’ll need another method of nutrient export if you choose to remove it. If you choose to remove it I would just do a large water change and continue to do water changes as a security blanket.
Okay, the reason I was asking is because I broke the glass but it still holds water, but it leaks a little

Upvote 0

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the reason I was asking is because I broke the glass but it still holds water, but it leaks a little
You’re better off replacing it or taking it offline. A cup of water doesn’t look like much until you spill it on the floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re better off replacing it or taking it offline. A cup of water doesn’t look like much until you spill it on the floor.
The Refugium is 3g

unnamed.jpg

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Refugium is 3g

unnamed.jpg
Kind of nice looking, would be unfortunate to have to remove it. On one hand playing around with leaky tanks can be catastrophic, on the other hand refugiums do export nutrients and provide a refuge for different microfauna to proliferate

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I think I see the crack in the left facing pane. If its replaceable, and leaking into the sump, I would leave it and order a new one. Then replace and transfer contents immediately upon delivery
I can’t see it myself but I’m on mobile so. If it’s a small crack you can put a external patch on it while it running with water if it isn’t a fast/bad leak. Oversize glass or acrylic patch, 5200 fast cure will stop something that is slowly weeping and will still cure even when exposed to a bit of water in center

Upvote 0

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had outside the sump and when I cracked it, i moved it back into the sump.
If it’s a real light weeping crack you can externally patch it with a piece of glass or acrylic and 5200 fast cure caulk. You would need to prep area by wiping down with alcohol, have oversized patch ready to go with beads of 5200 already on it and immediately press it on and hold it in place some how until it’s finished curing. Won’t be aesthetically pleasing but will save you money

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it myself but I’m on mobile so. If it’s a small crack you can put a external patch on it while it running with water if it isn’t a fast/bad leak. Oversize glass or acrylic patch, 5200 fast cure will stop something that is slowly weeping and will still cure even when exposed to a bit of water in center

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LILBEAR23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I think I see the crack in the left facing pane. If its replaceable, and leaking into the sump, I would leave it and order a new one. Then replace and transfer contents immediately upon delivery.
Is there a good external refugium? The one you see was the ato of the tank drilled.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back