Refugium overflow when I started my tank back up....but why?

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there Any plumbing experts in here that can help me figure out why my refugium just decided to overflow on me tonight after I restarted the return pump....it’s has been like this for 3 months and never had this issue???? Here are some pics of the setup....the refugium is a DIY from the ATO tank that Red Sea provides...I drilled it out and plumbed in a feed from my manifold and also a return plumbed into the the sump and Aimed into the bubble trap. Here are some pics of the setup...I’m thinking some air got trapped in the return line and caused the water to just keep filling in the refugium until it overflowed...If that’s the case anybody have any options for me that would help rectify this?? Thanks for your help in Advance!
11778f03f0e9203368abc1a831c51336.jpg
e67973a22c1dff06b3c73e1727764ad9.jpg
b4f7722b41d06a886cc2c53182e7a0f8.jpg

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no obstruction, then the only thing I can think of is that your drain pipe diameter isn’t large enough and water coming in from the pump is in excess of what the drain is capable of “processing”. Keep in mind, even if they are the same diameter, your water is supplied under pressure, but drain is gravity. So, try adjusting the water pressure down, see if that fixes it.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air can get trapped in the drain if the exit is sealed under the water level. This will restrict the flow until it is flushed out. That looks like a pretty small drain. I can easily see it flooding until it develops a siphon.

OP
OP
vipete1985

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air can get trapped in the drain if the exit is sealed under the water level. This will restrict the flow until it is flushed out. That looks like a pretty small drain. I can easily see it flooding until it develops a siphon.

To be honest I think that’s exactly what happened...as the return pump kicked on it sends water to the refugium but the water level in the sump is still causing the return from the refugium to be submerged.....I was thinking about drilling a little hole on top of the elbow and putting a rigid piece of tube in there above the water line for air to escape if necessary....or shorten the hose so that is never becomes submerged although that will cause a water splashing noise....or remove the elbow and get one I can thread on the outside of the bulkhead instead of the inside which would increase the diameter of the return but that doesn’t solve the issue of water being stuck in the line when the return pump starts.......Hmmmmmmmmmm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back