Refugium Questions???

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 120g tank about 2 weeks ago and set up my sump with a refug. I placed approx 2" sand bed and lots of rubble rock. My question is when can I add macro algae? What type of macro do I add? How much? How do I maintain it? As you can see I have no clue on how to start this refug. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wlcome to reef2reef.... I would start with some chateo it's simple and doesn't go asexual and spread to your tank.... I would start with a nice soft ball size lump with a spiral compact bulb on it....6500 Kelvin range... You want low to moderate flow through it... Only thing you will need to do is turn it once in awhile or get it to tumble with a power head etc.... Also during water changes it's a good idea to swish it around in a bucket of old tank water it does collect a lot of junk floating in the water... Hope that helps...

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wlcome to reef2reef.... I would start with some chateo it's simple and doesn't go asexual and spread to your tank.... I would start with a nice soft ball size lump with a spiral compact bulb on it....6500 Kelvin range... You want low to moderate flow through it... Only thing you will need to do is turn it once in awhile or get it to tumble with a power head etc.... Also during water changes it's a good idea to swish it around in a bucket of old tank water it does collect a lot of junk floating in the water... Hope that helps...

^ this..

and welcome to the site!!!

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Troylee and ToXIc for welcoming me and thank your for your advice. With my tank being new can I add the cheato now??

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that it is still cycling. I would let the nitrates fall on their own first then add the chaeto.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris - The tank went through a mini cycle about 3 days ago...I used live sand and fed an empty tank since I started it. I also added Dr Tims One and Only to get the Nit Bac going quicker! My test only went up a bit in ammonia and then fell to 0. Can I assume that I have cycled?? Also Nitrates are 20 ppm.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah go ahead put it in and get it going... It won't hurt anything... Just stock it slow so every thing can keep balanced out and you don't run into problems... Hth

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience with the Dr. Tim's product, but I have heard a bit about it. You could probably go ahead and add the chaeto, and a couple of clowns or chromis and just keep an eye on the parameters.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Troylee and Chris!! I will probably add some clowns this weekend!! Im excited!! Does anyone have any cheato in the Nash/Murf area I can buy from them??? Plus is anyone willing to come out and look over my tank to see if everything is setup properly??? I want to add a UV sterilizer but dont know how to plumb it in...beware if you volunteer to look at my tank you will be BOMBARDED with questions!!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually use lower kelvin bulbs like the cheap. Warm/soft bulbs with high w like 20-26w cfl spiral bulbs is what I use cost $2ea and I have 3 basketball size balls of chaeto and it spreads like wildfire. Please take from me lol mine all started from a softball size about 6 months ago and I've given a bit away

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the greatest reef forum. I'm glad to see you over here Rc is a PITA. They gave me Infrcation for tell you about the clubs website. What a load.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pita?? Lol. I do like R2R better. Reef team 6 sounds great!! I could use some advice and help on my setup. Let me know of RT6 can help me!!

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike- are you talking about a basic clamp on light bulb for my fuge?? When do I need to run that light?? Opposite my day lights? 24hrs?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back