Refugium size for 36 gallon bowfront

bryan071108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 36-gallon bowfront tank is currently cycling and I would like to set up a hob refugium. What would be the correct size I would need? I can't do one that goes under the tank and with the center brace the tank has, that leaves roughly about 13 inches on either side. I was thinking about getting a small CPR AquaFuge 2 but wasn't sure if that would be big enough or if there were better options. And if I go with that refugium, would this light be sufficient to grow chaeto?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the bigger the better if possible (since it can hold more macroalgae, but its up to you. A small but fast growing clump of macroalgae can be better than a larger but slow growing setup. Fijicube and aquamaxx also have HOB's you could look at.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light would probably be ok, but I tend to like lights with a bit broader spectrum (or at least wider peaks). The peak of red in that is a bit narrow and short of where you would ideally want it to be. The closer to 465nm and 665nm wavelength (color) the more ideal.

OP
OP
B

bryan071108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked into the Aquamaxx and it is too long with the center brace and the Fijicube (after reading reviews) wouldn't fit on my tank since it has the plastic rim and they're built for rimless tanks but don't specify that.

Thanks for your help with the light. I'll keep looking!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked into the Aquamaxx and it is too long with the center brace and the Fijicube (after reading reviews) wouldn't fit on my tank since it has the plastic rim and they're built for rimless tanks but don't specify that.

Thanks for your help with the light. I'll keep looking!

The only reason I didn't attatch a light link was because I am not sure how you plan on mounting or placing the light but there are definitely plenty of cheap options.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 36 gallon bowfront I had a standard 10 gallon partitioned off from the return pump. However I think I put it in the stand before putting the tank on it and I may have removed the back wooden brace from the inside of the stand to the outside of the stand. A standard 10 gallon tank did have enough space for drainage water when the tank was turned off however. That might be more messing around than you want to do however.

OP
OP
B

bryan071108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sadly I may not be able to get one. The bad part about the tank is the brace and the severe size restrictions. I looked last night and with my hob filter and skimmer, a hob refugium would have to be pretty small...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sadly I may not be able to get one. The bad part about the tank is the brace and the severe size restrictions. I looked last night and with my hob filter and skimmer, a hob refugium would have to be pretty small...

I would take off the skimmer and try the fuge but I am a bit controversial on my skimmer opinions lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back