Refugium size

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for my 35 gal tank all in one would it be worth it to try to put a refugium in one of the chambers or would it only matter if it was in a sump.

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a 30 gallon uni as well! i don't think it's a good idea to try and have a fuge in the sump as algae can not outgrow its environment. I have learned this the past 2.5 weeks while trying to grow chaeto in the middle section of the built in sump, it's still a nice dark green and serves as a nice breeding ground for pods although i'm not sure they make it alive past the return pump. the chaeto has not been expanding to a noticeable extent. I believe this is due to the low flow rate (i'm manually turning it over every day) but then again this does depend on the GPH of your pump. now, i am going to just use a HOB breeding tank (.5 gallons) which is where i will place my chaeto and breed pods, in here the chaeto will get to tumble and expand any direction it wants! if you have the space for a separate tank that can work as a fuge then i suggest that's your best bet for success.

OP
OP
saltysailor

saltysailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a 30 gallon uni as well! i don't think it's a good idea to try and have a fuge in the sump as algae can not outgrow its environment. I have learned this the past 2.5 weeks while trying to grow chaeto in the middle section of the built in sump, it's still a nice dark green and serves as a nice breeding ground for pods although i'm not sure they make it alive past the return pump. the chaeto has not been expanding to a noticeable extent. I believe this is due to the low flow rate (i'm manually turning it over every day) but then again this does depend on the GPH of your pump. now, i am going to just use a HOB breeding tank (.5 gallons) which is where i will place my chaeto and breed pods, in here the chaeto will get to tumble and expand any direction it wants! if you have the space for a separate tank that can work as a fuge then i suggest that's your best bet for success.
Def good to know. I wonder what was an effective size refugium would be for a 30 gal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back