Refugium vs Algae Reactor

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of setting up a Red Sea Reefer 250 and I'm debating if I should run a refugium with a Kessil H380 or if I should go with a Pax Bellum N18.

Thanks!

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space, I would now with a fuge. In the end, less maintenance. As @Ryanbrs told me, "how hard is it to periodically take out a handful of chaeto and toss it!"

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good flow in the fuge it should grow algae just as quick as a reactor with that lighting

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good flow in the fuge it should grow algae just as quick as a reactor with that lighting
I have a gyre which I'm not using at the moment so, I was planning on using it to keep the chaeto moving

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving it some thought, I went with the Pax Bellum N18.
IMG_4332.JPG

After all it came down to size, the reactor is smaller and since the cabinet of the Reefer 250 doesnt have too much space I think this will allow me to fit more equipment in my sump.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never run a reactor so I cant comment on how effective they are but the one thing I really enjoy about the refugium is that it is a completely different world down there. Just like the DT, there is always something new to see in the refugium.

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've never run a reactor so I cant comment on how effective they are but the one thing I really enjoy about the refugium is that it is a completely different world down there. Just like the DT, there is always something new to see in the refugium.

I too wonder how effective these reactors are instead of having a refugium.

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a scrubber I've been thinking of making one heard a lot of good about them

PaulG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving it some thought, I went with the Pax Bellum N18.
IMG_4332.JPG

After all it came down to size, the reactor is smaller and since the cabinet of the Reefer 250 doesnt have too much space I think this will allow me to fit more equipment in my sump.
I am exactly trying to make the same decision. I have a reefer 450 and can turn the ATO into a refugium and use the 380 Kessils. How is the ARID working out for you (maintenance, effectiveness etc.). Thank you for sharing your experience.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am exactly trying to make the same decision. I have a reefer 450 and can turn the ATO into a refugium and use the 380 Kessils. How is the ARID working out for you (maintenance, effectiveness etc.). Thank you for sharing your experience.
I'm trying to decide the exact same thing myself wit ha reefer 525. My ATO is nearly useless as the tiny hole always clogs.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Santa Monica RAIN2 ATS on my reefer 250. Fits perfectly in the little sump.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan, specially with the 380. Sorry I can't answer your questions at the moment since I haven't plumb the tank yet. Hopefully I get it done over the weekend but, I'll post some updates as soon as it is running.

I'm trying to decide the exact same thing myself wit ha reefer 525. My ATO is nearly useless as the tiny hole always clogs.

I think a refugium is a good idea and maybe it requires less maintenance than the reactor but, I didn't have too much space left inside the cabinet after adding a larger sump so, I went with the reactor.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan, specially with the 380. Sorry I can't answer your questions at the moment since I haven't plumb the tank yet. Hopefully I get it done over the weekend but, I'll post some updates as soon as it is running.

I think a refugium is a good idea and maybe it requires less maintenance than the reactor but, I didn't have too much space left inside the cabinet after adding a larger sump so, I went with the reactor.

I’m debating using a refugium lit by the Kessil H380 vs ARID N-18 reactor right now too. I would very much like to hear your thoughts on how things are going for you.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a very old thread but I like to hear updates to post where someone asked a question on which direction to take and then make a decision.

How did it work out ? Are you still using your pax bellum? Do you wish you would've went with the fuge now?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on this thread ? planning to get the skimz mbr .

any thoughts ?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back