Refugium VS DIY Chaeto Reactor VS DIY Algae Turf Scrubber for a 160 gallon tank

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go with, a refugium, algae turf scrubber or a chaeto reactor? Or should I go with a mix of two? I will have some wrasses in the tank, and I may add a dragonet when the tank is mature. So, I want to have a good population of copepods. I am not sure whether I should set up a refugium, ATS or a chaeto reactor. The bottom of the sump will be covered with bio media, either blocks or cubes. I believe that the copepods would thrive in there, right? If I keep chaeto should I have it in the refugium area? If so how should I tumble it? Or should I use a diy chaeto reactor? What would you say? Or should I use the ATS. The other option that I can think of is, keeping chaeto or other macro algae in the refugium section and have a small ATS what do you think? Then I will have the nutrient export from the algae scrubbers and some nutrient export from the chaeto which will also prove a place for the pods to stay. But then again I want to turn the refugium area into a small frag rack so should I use a chaeto reactor instead? I’m really confused about this part.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a chamber to house it I would vote chaeto in a fuge. It's simple to maintain, just pull a chunk out every once in a while, rinse in the water and pitch it or give it away. Pods love it, mine is packed with them. It doesn't have to tumble and a cheap grow light from Amazon or hanging in a work light fixture from home depot will grow it just fine. Simple, cheap, and easy to maintain just way I like it.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large fuge that I’ve had for years and it works wonders. My fuge doesn’t tumble and it doesn’t cause any issues and I have a thriving copepod population. Never used an algae scrubber but I’d put my vote for a fuge. I don’t know how a pod population would do in an algae scrubber, might be okay but doesn’t seem like it’d do as well with the smaller volume.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large fuge that I’ve had for years and it works wonders. My fuge doesn’t tumble and it doesn’t cause any issues and I have a thriving copepod population. Never used an algae scrubber but I’d put my vote for a fuge. I don’t know how a pod population would do in an algae scrubber, might be okay but doesn’t seem like it’d do as well with the smaller volume.
If you have a chamber to house it I would vote chaeto in a fuge. It's simple to maintain, just pull a chunk out every once in a while, rinse in the water and pitch it or give it away. Pods love it, mine is packed with them. It doesn't have to tumble and a cheap grow light from Amazon or hanging in a work light fixture from home depot will grow it just fine. Simple, cheap, and easy to maintain just way I like it.
I see thanks! Can you please tell me how I can stop detritus from settling in the bottom? And also do I have to flip the chaeto or can I just flip it once a month when I clean the tank? Also um do you have problems with pests living in the refugium?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge is better for pods and cheato is especially loved by Gammarus and Munnids (amphipods and isopods)

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see thanks! Can you please tell me how I can stop detritus from settling in the bottom? And also do I have to flip the chaeto or can I just flip it once a month when I clean the tank? Also um do you have problems with pests living in the refugium?
What kind of pests?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost the whole idea of refugium that detrius settles at the bottom? Just hoover detrius when doing water change, or even better - leave it alone.. You need to flip every now on, I do it when I trim/harvest it.. Maybe once every couple of weeks..

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have a small powerhead in my refugium. I run a mix of chaeto, gracilaria and caulerpa which can get tangled together and trap debris so I find the powerhead helps keep stuff suspended a bit better so it can flow to the next chamber. If you have sufficient flow into your refugium section this is likely not necessary but I have to keep my drain a bit slower because I'm a lazy moron who used ball valves when I set up the tank

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto is in the second chamber of my sump, filter socks in the first so detritus isn't too bad. I pulled the socks once and that was a mistake. I'm also not too concerned with a "clean" sump since it's in my basement. I roll the chaeto over when I think about it but I mounted some led lights to the glass using velcro and have a light hanging so it's pretty much lit all the way around so flipping it isn't as important than if I had a single light source. Nothing there that I consider pests. Pods, a brittle star once and some bristle worms. Even have a cucumber in there that I watch out for when I'm harvesting. It came down from the display a year or so ago so I just leave it. All good inhabitants IMO

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost the whole idea of refugium that detrius settles at the bottom? Just hoover detrius when doing water change, or even better - leave it alone.. You need to flip every now on, I do it when I trim/harvest it.. Maybe once every couple of weeks..
So trimming it once a month and flipping it then is enough right? Also by pest I heard that things like bristleworms and all. I also saw on BRSTV that peats grow in them. So like is that a problem?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have a small powerhead in my refugium. I run a mix of chaeto, gracilaria and caulerpa which can get tangled together and trap debris so I find the powerhead helps keep stuff suspended a bit better so it can flow to the next chamber. If you have sufficient flow into your refugium section this is likely not necessary but I have to keep my drain a bit slower because I'm a lazy moron who used ball valves when I set up the tank
I see. Doesn’t the powerhead get clogged? How do you prevent it from doing that?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, lol, but nothing crazy. I just periodically pull stuff out of it. Alternatively some course foam around the intake that is easily removable makes that easier. I use a Tunze voyager nano. Runs like a champ. Thing is you will need to pop down there to maintain it regularly anyways - algal growth, removing the excess to export nutrients, and ensuring flow through. I think sometimes we undersell the associated maintenance with refugiums
As for pests, not really. I have a few aiptasia but I also have two peppermints and a pencil urchin who help to remove anything problematic. I have bristleworms also but haven't encountered them much in the refugium, but you could wear gloves if that is a concern. The frequency you remove depends on how good a job its doing and how much space is left for new growth

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever you think of as "pests" is most likely to be normal ecosystem of a healthy reef.

bristle worms are annoying because they can sting you - but they are an important cleanup crew..

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, lol, but nothing crazy. I just periodically pull stuff out of it. Alternatively some course foam around the intake that is easily removable makes that easier. I use a Tunze voyager nano. Runs like a champ. Thing is you will need to pop down there to maintain it regularly anyways - algal growth, removing the excess to export nutrients, and ensuring flow through. I think sometimes we undersell the associated maintenance with refugiums
As for pests, not really. I have a few aiptasia but I also have two peppermints and a pencil urchin who help to remove anything problematic. I have bristleworms also but haven't encountered them much in the refugium, but you could wear gloves if that is a concern. The frequency you remove depends on how good a job its doing and how much space is left for new growth
I am worried that if there are pests in the refugium, they can crawl upto the display tank. Do you think that will happen?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont want powerheard in your refugium - its mean to be slow moving...

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatever you think of as "pests" is most likely to be normal ecosystem of a healthy reef.

bristle worms are annoying because they can sting you - but they are an important cleanup crew..
As far as I know, they are all good until they get too big. Do you think they can go from the refugium to the display tank? Also I want to keep frags in the refugium when newly fragged how can I keep it here then?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont want powerheard in your refugium - its mean to be slow moving...
I don't disagree but only because my sump style has very slow flow through to the skimmer chamber, almost so slow that one is necessary in my case. Borat is right though - you want to maximize contact time to ensure the algae can absorb nutrients

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%

Back