Refugium VS socks/reactor

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I have a royal exclusiv dream box , it has a large filter sock section I’m thinking of cutting out and using it as a refugium. Problem with socks is I can’t change them out every few days, as I’m away for 2 weeks at a time.

would it be ok using different micron socks so they last longer? Start fine then work my way up to more open socks and add a pax bellum reactor? Or should I cut the socks out, and use that area as a refugium

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to grow a lot of Chaeto to make a dent in nutrients. I'd vote for the reactor.

I modified an Eshopps sump to take standard 4" round socks so I could use a nylon mesh sock for easier cleaning, rather than the only 200 micron felt bags that fit the 7" rectangular opening.

I don't think socks do much good unless you're putting a lot of detritus over your weir, which implies overfeeding and requires a pretty sophisticated arrangement of powerheads to keep detritus suspended. The time and money to really make good use of socks doesn't make sense to me when feeding less and employing other means of nutrient control is so easy.

I guess it's nice not seeing so many Chaeto fines floating around though.

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to grow a lot of Chaeto to make a dent in nutrients. I'd vote for the reactor.

I modified an Eshopps sump to take standard 4" round socks so I could use a nylon mesh sock for easier cleaning, rather than the only 200 micron felt bags that fit the 7" rectangular opening.

I don't think socks do much good unless you're putting a lot of detritus over your weir, which implies overfeeding and requires a pretty sophisticated arrangement of powerheads to keep detritus suspended. The time and money to really make good use of socks doesn't make sense to me when feeding less and employing other means of nutrient control is so easy.

Thanks for the insight! I just want ultimate clarity, since it’s a peninsula. I’ll be looking into a reactor now!

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the reactor not growing chaeto ? So why would it be more effective than a refugium ? A real refugium with good lights should work just as well if not better?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want maximum clarity, socks are the way to go. A refugium will not polish the water like socks do.

If your thinking is nutrient control, then a refugium will do more then socks.

If your socks are piling up to fast, go to a larger mesh socks instead of felt socks. I personally have ditched my socks, and don't mind the odd floatie from time to time. I honestly think my tank is more stable without socks. I certainly have more microfauna in my sump then I did before.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back