Refugium

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5328.JPG
So, the way that my sump is set up and my aquarium stand, I didn't have room to add a refugium in the sump. My solution to that, was to get a 10-15 gallon cube because that's really all I have room for, and bridge it to my sump with pvc and bulk heads after drilling a few holes...

My question is, to save a lot of work, could I simply install a hang on refugium on the side of my sump?

Oh by the way, here's a pic of my tank 2 weeks in...

OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lacking the footprint for an 8 1/4"x8 1/4" piece of equipment... maybe if I got rid of the filter socks and ran it in my drain compartment?

OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made space in my sump to add a small refugium, does anyone have any chaeto? And can I just use a halogen light?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made space in my sump to add a small refugium, does anyone have any chaeto? And can I just use a halogen light?
Ask @Pola0502ds he usually had 5 gallon bucket full. I wouldn't use a halogen light. The LED outdooor flood lights are good and if you don't mind spending a couple more bucks the kessil H series rock.

OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask @Pola0502ds he usually had 5 gallon bucket full. I wouldn't use a halogen light. The LED outdooor flood lights are good and if you don't mind spending a couple more bucks the kessil H series rock.
Would the 150 be enough? And another dumb question, should I make my sand bed out of live sand or just sand since the tank is already established???

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sand is fine. But, might want to get a scoop of sand from someone. Is the pic of the tank current? So, tank is less than a month up and running and has no livestock? If yes, the definitely get a scoop of sand from someone.

OP
OP
Wieloch89

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sand is fine. But, might want to get a scoop of sand from someone. Is the pic of the tank current? So, tank is less than a month up and running and has no livestock? If yes, the definitely get a scoop of sand from someone.
That was like 2-3 weeks in to it running. It's been almost 2 months now. Cycle finished like 3 weeks in, spike in ammonia and nitrite then back to zero. Diatom bloom 2 weeks ago and has since cleared up. Had 4 damsels in it for the cycle that I'm struggling to get back out now lol. But I did add 2 fish and a few coral this week. I've been checking ammonia and nitrite since they've been added and they're both still at zero and nitrate at 5ppm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back