Refugiums... What's in yours?

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am preparing to build my first Reef Tank I am wondering what people put in their refugium. I know Deep Sand Beds used to be very popular, but I don't see many of those anymore.

My DT will be a 75 Gallon and my Sump will be a 40 Breeder. I am thinking of doing a 3 or 4 chamber sump, one of which will be for Chaeto, but I am thinking of adding a 10 or 20 Gallon tank as a separate Refugium. If I do, I am debating what to do in that refugium. Should I put livestock in there, DSB, more Rock, plantlife, or some combination of these... There are so many options and obviously benefits and drawbacks to each.

If you were going to add a separate Refugium, what would you put in it?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am preparing to build my first Reef Tank I am wondering what people put in their refugium. I know Deep Sand Beds used to be very popular, but I don't see many of those anymore.

My DT will be a 75 Gallon and my Sump will be a 40 Breeder. I am thinking of doing a 3 or 4 chamber sump, one of which will be for Chaeto, but I am thinking of adding a 10 or 20 Gallon tank as a separate Refugium. If I do, I am debating what to do in that refugium. Should I put livestock in there, DSB, more Rock, plantlife, or some combination of these... There are so many options and obviously benefits and drawbacks to each.

If you were going to add a separate Refugium, what would you put in it?
Mine is just a bare fuge with a ball of chaeto. No sand, no rocks. That way the chaeto can tumble and not get caught on anything :)

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has chaeto and a gorilla crab. If you don't put livestock in it you'll have a place for the bad hitchhiker or fish that becomes aggressive.

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135 cycling with a 50 gal sump. It is 3 chambered. Protein Skimmer in first. Huge refugium with sand and live rock in middle and return pump in last. I plan to have chaeto and pods in the middle. Have a Par 38 lighting it up and a small power head circulating it

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back