REFUGUIM

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i set up a refuguim about week and half ago using the tunze 8831 light did not see a difference phosphates and nitrates are still high so i switched to cree 120watt br40 flood bulb how long does it take for my phosphates and nitrates someone mentioned adding iron its new to me so not sure what to do

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started mine it took a good 3-4 weeks before I started to notice a change. It will all depend on how much marco algae you put in to start with, and what your levels were at before you started. For example my tank had really high phosphates and nitrates so it took some time for those to come down. I also started with a smaller ball of Chaeto so it took some time for it grow large enough to make a dent in my nutrients.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto consumes iron during its growth, if iron levels are depleted, the growth will slow down and the removal a subsequent nutrients will be less efficient. That is what your previous adviser will be referring to.
That said I wouldn't expect this to be an issue from the start. Has your chaeto not been growing?

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long each day are you running the refugium? When I put one into a newer system with high nitrates/phosphates I'll often let it run 24hrs a day for a week or more until growth gets numbers down where i'd like them to be, then I'll dial back the On time to 8 hours a day or so and see if numbers go up or down.
Refugiums are a slower delay process than Skimmers are.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the tunze 9 watt running for 24hrs and did not see any growth so that is why i went to the cree 120 watt

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back