Regal Angel Hiding All Day

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by roberthu526, Jan 24, 2018.

1. roberthu526

roberthu526 Well-Known Member

That is awesome! I am happy for you and I am sticking with guarantee from now on. Best of luck to you and your fish!

2. UncleSalty

UncleSalty Active Member

Dang - I am so sorry to hear that! I left a more detailed reply on ReefCentral about what mine did in terms of eating. But, i'll copy/paste it here!

I may be the exception, but I bought an adult true red sea at my LFS. He was about 4" with no eye spot. Barely ate at the store, but picked occasionally. I had them keep him alone, in hypo, and do a couple Prazi dips. I fed a plethora of stuff, and he would always show interest but couldn't grab it. Finally, he tried some Collared greens and went crazy for it. Shortly after that, clam on a half shell, and finally tried the Brine Shrimp and went crazy for all of it. Only thing he won't eat now is flake food, but he's slowly figuring it out. For mine, the collared greens are really what he enjoyed (eats a whole leaf nearly every 2 days) and what caused him to try all kinds of food.

3. UncleSalty

UncleSalty Active Member

Oh - and when you get a new one in from Live Aquaria, make sure you have a QT setup and all the medicines on hand to treat the little guy!

4. roberthu526

Yep! Sure I do!

5. roberthu526

Just want to give an update: I bought two juvenile regals on LA. One is 1.5” and the other is 2.5”. Both are on the first day. Now they both eat mysis and pick on the clams I put in the tank. There was some chasing in the first two days but now no one pays attentions to others. Right now there are two regals, one 1.5” juvenile goldflake and one 2.5” juvenile majestic angel in the 125G. Every one gets along well. I am a little surprised but I have to say the regals have been very bold and active. The majestic is actually the most shy one, hiding every time I go into the room. But still comes out to chase mysis. So far so good and fingers crossed.

Orly20 likes this.
  6. Orly20

Orly20 Active Member

That’s great that you were able to find good specimens
    I also purchased a Red Sea Regal from NY Aquatics on Dec 25,2107. When I communicated with Michael he said they were eating, he sent me a video of a tank full of Regals and you can see about two or three eating mysis.

To this day I have not seen the Regal Angel eat. I’ve tried clams, oysters, scallops,mysis, brine, Nori, Flakes, live black worms, bloodworms, Masstick, LRS, Pellets and God knows what else. Nothing! I really don’t know how much longer he can go without eating but I will definitely try collard greens since I haven’t tried that yet.

It’s been in the display swimming out and around the tank. I see it picking a little, interacts with the cleaner shrimp and even with the other fish some. Shows no signs of stress so I hope it snaps out of it soon

7. Highgrade

Highgrade Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Few questions.
    Is your Regal showing any weight loss?
    Have you treated for internal parasites?
    What is the size of your Regal and is it housed with any other fish currently?

eatbreakfast and Orly20 like this.
  8. Orly20

Orly20 Active Member

Yes

No, only a supposed two week copper treatment and prazi according to the seller.

120 gallon and yes

9. Highgrade

Highgrade Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hopefully your Regal will start to eat soon.

Orly20 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted