Regal Angel in QT injury or something more?

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See photos. Regal Angel eating like a pig and otherwise perfect so far almost 2 weeks in QT. I noticed this spot a day or two after I brought him home but it hasn’t gotten any better. Possibly gotten worse. I know how delicate these guys can be and want to be as proactive as possible.
F46049D0-6C36-433B-B138-70C98054E4EC.jpeg
D2D14D0E-B5F7-48C2-9D6F-C6A10FE03E7E.jpeg

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bacterial to me. My solution is TRIFECTA. I've used it in the past with GREAT success.
Trifecta is furan-2, kanaplex, and metronidazole combined all together. You need to do a search for it to get the specific details as I do not remember them.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, as when I first got my regal angelfish he had a bump in the exact same spot as yours and endlessly searches and looked for help and found another person that there regal angelfish had same thing in exact same spot as well. Like the person I found we never really found what is exactly was. I did hold it in QT for a long time and think I tried treating with kanaplex but it never went away until I put it in DT and then cleared. Oh and btw the same with the other person. Only went away once put in DT. Sorry not much more help!
Maybe @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, as when I first got my regal angelfish he had a bump in the exact same spot as yours and endlessly searches and looked for help and found another person that there regal angelfish had same thing in exact same spot as well. Like the person I found we never really found what is exactly was. I did hold it in QT for a long time and think I tried treating with kanaplex but it never went away until I put it in DT and then cleared. Oh and btw the same with the other person. Only went away once put in DT. Sorry not much more help!
Maybe @Jay Hemdal
Thanks for the reply. I netted him for pics and he was eating 10 min later so he’s otherwise healthy and got plenty of weight on him.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mine started eating well in QT and was fine! I really wish you the best of luck. If he is eating that’s most of the battle with these guys. I would maybe try some kanaplex to prevent becoming worse or developing into an infection. I found kanaplex very easy on them. Just my thought! I think these fish are very strong as long as eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See photos. Regal Angel eating like a pig and otherwise perfect so far almost 2 weeks in QT. I noticed this spot a day or two after I brought him home but it hasn’t gotten any better. Possibly gotten worse. I know how delicate these guys can be and want to be as proactive as possible.
F46049D0-6C36-433B-B138-70C98054E4EC.jpeg
D2D14D0E-B5F7-48C2-9D6F-C6A10FE03E7E.jpeg

I always have trouble viewing fish under blue light. Is this lesion whiteish or more gray? There is a rare external fungal disease that is gray.

Are you treating with anything yet? Do you have a quarantine protocol you are using?

Jay

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have trouble viewing fish under blue light. Is this lesion whiteish or more gray? There is a rare external fungal disease that is gray.

Are you treating with anything yet? Do you have a quarantine protocol you are using?

Jay
It’s white with a dark center x 2 I am not treating with anything. My QT process for right now is just monitor no preventative treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s white with a dark center x 2 I am not treating with anything. My QT process for right now is just monitor no preventative treatment
Just monitoring can be an issue because it puts you behind the curve when/if something does crop up.
You might want to look at the quarantine thread at the top of the fish disease section.
If this lesion grows, you should probably consider dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic.
Jay

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B7F4D5E5-E714-415F-9F82-A6AF3FA2CC9D.jpeg
Todays photo. It is getting a bit worse and pretty certain it’s infected but the weird thing to me is it almost seems a bone trying to grow through or something? It certainly seems as something sharp and hard it protruding outwards. I have some Kanaplex arriving Monday. The fish is still eating well.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also wondering if there was a injury from netting it before you got it and just got infected. Hopefully kanaplex will help. Try not to keep getting him out. Looks like you used a net and that could keep irritating it. Like I said before still looks like something mine had and went away on its own once in DT. Eating still is great news.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back