Regal Angel

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought adult Regal Angel from my LFS, it is about 5”. It is always out and about in my tank, which has been setup for 1.5 years with live rocks, and corals.
Day 1: it start eating the Angel mix frozen food from SF Bay, has not touched the Nori yet.

My tank only have yellow tang, tomini tang and a pair oscelaris clown. None of them pick on the Regal since it is much bigger than the others, and none of my fish showed any aggression toward each other.

I plan to train him to eat pellet, and plan to purchase PE Mysis as another frozen food to mix his diet. I feed 2 cubes of frozen per day, and a couple times with pellets and hang Nori couple times a day.

he is one of my favorite fish.

0308CB01-5E6F-46D9-91B0-C052BEBC7BFF.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take time, but angels will eventually go after pellets - especially if they're submerged below the water surface. The herbivores in my tank prefer their seaweed rubber-banded to small rocks - so that's something you can also try.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so far he only eats frozen.
I think I need larger pellet size, the BRS pellet that I have is very small, I think the 1 mm size. I also need sinking pellets for this fish

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regal never took to pellets! But he does love frozen food (fish frenzy). Also eventually took to nori sheets. I think he learned from the other fish. The only thing is these poor fish are so much slower than others they don’t get as much as my hippo and foxface that devour a sheet in seconds

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the same so far with my regal angel. He eats some of the frozen (SF bay angel mix) but he ignores the bigger chunk of the frozen. He is about 4”-5” so he should be able to eat the bigger chunk. My oscelaris and yellow tang are much faster eater than him. I guess he probably still newbie in the tank, 1 wk so far

moga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. I started training with Hikari S or Hikiari A marine food. he also eats frozen/ mix .. I am pretty happy with my new angel.!

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so far he only eats frozen.
I think I need larger pellet size, the BRS pellet that I have is very small, I think the 1 mm size. I also need sinking pellets for this fish
When I feed frozen in my DT, I have a feeding defroster a small powerhead that blows the frozen across the tank. For you or others who feed frozen or feed into the moving water column, are your regal angels able to eat well out of the water column?

I have a tiny captive bred regal in QT and it seems to eat best pecking at the bottom of the tank or the inside top of pvc pipe (for foods that float up like freeze dried cyclops/calanus).

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy has been with me for several years now, eats anything that goes in the tank, his favorite is red zoas lol

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Regal eats frozen with gusto but very slow on nori and won’t touch pellets . He loved a Space invader Pectina so that needed to be moved to another tank he picks around the SPS corals but being larger colonies it really dose not phase them. I also thaw the frozen with Brightwell Angel elixer and Selcon and f ed the tank 5 cubes in the Am and 5 cubes in the Pm.
FB954BED-D6F3-4BCC-B883-7A68466B5A7E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I bought adult Regal Angel from my LFS, it is about 5”. It is always out and about in my tank, which has been setup for 1.5 years with live rocks, and corals.
Day 1: it start eating the Angel mix frozen food from SF Bay, has not touched the Nori yet.

My tank only have yellow tang, tomini tang and a pair oscelaris clown. None of them pick on the Regal since it is much bigger than the others, and none of my fish showed any aggression toward each other.

I plan to train him to eat pellet, and plan to purchase PE Mysis as another frozen food to mix his diet. I feed 2 cubes of frozen per day, and a couple times with pellets and hang Nori couple times a day.

he is one of my favorite fish.

0308CB01-5E6F-46D9-91B0-C052BEBC7BFF.jpeg
While they may eat seaweed, they are not big on it.
Ocean nutrition angel formula, marine cuisine, Mysis shrimp and spirulina brine shrimp as well as bloodworms are favorable. They are sensitive at first to elevated nitrates and ammonia - just something to keep an eye on
Always a pretty addition to any system

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 8.2%
Back