Regal Angelfish, developed white chunky looking spots

jokerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, please help diagnose and treat this.
Have had this regal angelfish for 8 days it is currently in my 40 gallon Observation tank, (one other fish in there as well that was purchased at same time a starry blenny)

The regal did NOT have these spots at first and really didn’t eat much the first few days just pecking on rocks. Last few days the regal has been out and about a lot and eating everything I drop in there, frozen krill, mysis, pellets, brine.
Woke up this morning and this fish is still out and about eating, swimming around alot but it has these chunky looking white spots all over it (mainly on its fins)
Please help, I do not wanna loose this fish.
I do not dose any copper or anything just have it in this observation tank before it goes to main display

IMG_9853.png IMG_9852.png IMG_9849.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on placement and the irregularity of the spots, I would say that is lymphocytosis. It is a viral disease that is pretty common in angels and can point to diet or water quality issues (or just general stress). I would give it a few days to see how the spots develop.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, this is severe Lymphocystis. It will likely get worse before it gets better, but it won’t kill the fish outright.
What can happen is it’s presence can mask other diseases, so watch the fish very closely for other symptoms - different spots, not eating well, rapid breathing.

Jay

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this regal angelfish for 8 days it is currently in my 40 gallon Observation tank, (one other fish in there as well that was purchased at same time a starry blenny)

The regal did NOT have these spots at first and really didn’t eat much the first few days just pecking on rocks. Last few days the regal has been out and about a lot and eating everything I drop in there, frozen krill, mysis, pellets, brine.
Woke up this morning and this fish is still out and about eating, swimming around alot but it has these chunky looking white spots all over it (mainly on its fins)
I do not dose any copper or anything just have it in this observation tank before it goes to main display

Looks like lymphocystis, or ich, if it spreads its probably ich

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on placement and the irregularity of the spots, I would say that is lymphocytosis. It is a viral disease that is pretty common in angels and can point to diet or water quality issues (or just general stress). I would give it a few days to see how the spots develop.

Just noticed the spots on the body, keep an eye on it, probably lymphocystis but could be ich

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are very susceptible to lymph.
Poor water quality and stress are mainly to blame.
Can/will get worse if water quality doesn't change.
Can/will get better with good food and better water quality. This is one fish that suffers from high nitrates.
Usually won't kill/harm fish unless it gets to the mouth area where it makes it hard for them to eat.
Fish looks alert but this is a pretty advanced case.
Suggest water changes for a bit and better food,especially algea based or vitamin enriched foods.
I'm no medic but have dealt with this many times with fish coming from the LFS.
Be calm about it but fish/tank needs some love.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 5.0%
Back