Regal Damselfish (Neopomacentrus cyanomos)

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just restarting my 32 gallon Biocube after a move.

Been running for almost a month now and things are going great. Parameters are steady. Diatoms are dying down and my CuC and Linear Blenny (Ecsenius lineatus) are thriving.

My local Petco is my only saltwater supplier and I have been watching this Regal Damselfish (Neopomacentrus cyanomos) for over a month now. It's a beautiful fish and holding it's own in a tank with 5 tomato clowns (cause Petco).

Wondering if anybody has kept this fish before and if it's the horror most damsel fish are?

Very impressed it's survived a month at a Petco especially in a tank with a bunch of bully clowns chasing it and it still looks healthy as a horse.

Just want to know more about the fish itself and other people's experiences with it?

NeopomacentCyanoRLS.jpg

NeopomacCyano3MarkRosenstein.jpg

*Not my pics, for attention

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not familiar with this fish, but it is very pretty! Some online reading suggests max size 3.5", and if it's anything like other damsels, (especially given it can put up with a gang of tomato clowns) it's safe to assume it would be quite aggressive and territorial and should be one of if not the last addition to your relatively small system.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not familiar with this fish, but it is very pretty! Some online reading suggests max size 3.5", and if it's anything like other damsels, (especially given it can put up with a gang of tomato clowns) it's safe to assume it would be quite aggressive and territorial and should be one of if not the last addition to your relatively small system.
Yes I was just at the shop today and there are 4 clowns all huddled in one top corner, one large clown dead in the middle of the tank guarding the rocks who looks like a fighter l, and the poor Damsel up hiding on his own by the pump. He has taken no damage and looks healthy, but just scared in that tank of piranhas. Lol

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shoal of N. azysron which are very similar to the regals. They're a great fish and are not aggressive to other inhabitants. My shoal have a clear pecking order but do no damage and do not target a particular individual. They're in a 220 gal so have some space.

I had three in a 2ft and they did well until I moved them to join the rest.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shoal of N. azysron which are very similar to the regals. They're a great fish and are not aggressive to other inhabitants. My shoal have a clear pecking order but do no damage and do not target a particular individual. They're in a 220 gal so have some space.

I had three in a 2ft and they did well until I moved them to join the rest.
Very helpful, thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back