Regal Demoiselle Turning White

ariellemermaid

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2020
Messages
722
Reaction score
498
Location
North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of Regal Demoiselle’s in QT with a firefish. In the past week or two we’ve noticed that one of them seems to be consistently white on a band around the fish just before the tail. The rest of the fish color is a little less black too. He hides a little more than the other fish but generally no other issues noted. He swims wicked fast so even a half-decent picture has been challenging but I finally captured the ones below. The fish do nip at each other a bit, however, there’s enough of them that no one fish gets picked on as far as I can tell and no damage noted on any fish. So is this just stress? All fish are eating and actively swimming. It’s just strange to me only one fish looks this way.

1C9C226F-E0F2-47FE-9585-F80896C9A28E.jpeg
10F3D8F0-C87D-42CD-93B1-74F3A8679102.jpeg
04F262F7-979F-4AA0-80D9-69B49B6ADDCB.jpeg

And a normal one that photo bombed:
920A1037-55EE-4ACE-9B5A-442BDB2E3946.jpeg
 
I have a handful of Regal Demoiselle’s in QT with a firefish. In the past week or two we’ve noticed that one of them seems to be consistently white on a band around the fish just before the tail. The rest of the fish color is a little less black too. He hides a little more than the other fish but generally no other issues noted. He swims wicked fast so even a half-decent picture has been challenging but I finally captured the ones below. The fish do nip at each other a bit, however, there’s enough of them that no one fish gets picked on as far as I can tell and no damage noted on any fish. So is this just stress? All fish are eating and actively swimming. It’s just strange to me only one fish looks this way.

1C9C226F-E0F2-47FE-9585-F80896C9A28E.jpeg
10F3D8F0-C87D-42CD-93B1-74F3A8679102.jpeg
04F262F7-979F-4AA0-80D9-69B49B6ADDCB.jpeg

And a normal one that photo bombed:
920A1037-55EE-4ACE-9B5A-442BDB2E3946.jpeg

I'm sorry - I looked at your post last night, and started to reply and then I must have gotten sidetracked.

I have not had this species before, but I've kept related damsels. The pictures aren't super-clear, but it looks to me that the one is taking on stress coloration. My guess would be from the other damsel. you may never see overt fighting, but I bet there is some intimidation going on. There are damsels that can pretty much flash their colors on and off depending on their mood....this species may be able to do that.

Jay
 
I'm sorry - I looked at your post last night, and started to reply and then I must have gotten sidetracked.

I have not had this species before, but I've kept related damsels. The pictures aren't super-clear, but it looks to me that the one is taking on stress coloration. My guess would be from the other damsel. you may never see overt fighting, but I bet there is some intimidation going on. There are damsels that can pretty much flash their colors on and off depending on their mood....this species may be able to do that.

Jay
Thanks; I think that makes the most sense!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new