regal tang?

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok the total system volume will be 180 gallons including all the tanks in the system(59 gallons will be refugiums) I would like to keep a regal tang in the 40 breeder part of it though. if I can't keep one in there could I keep one in a 60 cube as part of the system?

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jimmy:

The issue is total water volume first... then it is more about swimming room in my opinion.

Ideally a longer tank is more important than a deeper one.

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 40 breeder is 3 foot long? i know that's not the largest it could be but it isn't too small... ok it's small, but is it big enough for a single tang? I was only gonna have it and a wrasse or a couple clowns. it's the frag tank of the tanks and I was hoping I could have the tang to clean up some of the nuisance algae I was gonna get a big clean up crew to go with it too, as all but a couple hermits died in my tank...

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't it be ok till it got to be about 5 inches? I don't completely know. I am coming from keeping central american cichlids.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually keep a 2.5" Regal tang in our LE tank it's 60"x14"x16". It's plumbed into our 120 gal system. We also have 2 other 60" tanks plumbed in too. Anyways, the regal tang is really healthy and really bright and vibrant.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could keep a small one in there for a while, but it'd need a bigger tank when it gets about +3". I saw a poor regal that was kept in a 54 gal bowfront. The owners finally brought it to the lfs to find a bigger home. The fish was about 6", very grey in color, and would kind of swim forward and back cause it had very little room in the 54.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why not try a lawnmower blenny, dragon goby, or some snails to take care of the algae instead? They all stay small.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or even a sea hare, they are the best algae grazers that I have ever seen in my 6 years experience. But then sometimes they can knock over stuff and would be a bad idea for a tank that has frag discs laying around.

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna go with a small regal. I am planning on getting a bigger tank in the next year like 150+ gallons.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back