Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

A college professor once asked me. Do you know why engineers love failure?

They love failure because it means they have an opportunity to learn from it.

My approach to life is this. You should not regret something you've learned a lesson from. Otherwise you wouldn't have learned the lesson in the first place. I've learned lots of lessons in reefing. I may be embarrassed to admit a few of them, but like I said, I don't regret them. I embrace them and know that at the end of the day I learned from them. We only become better reefers (and people) from our failures and mistakes.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from the South coast of England. I’m Tim and had my first failed attempt at a marine tank in the 80’s since then it had always been in the back of my mind to build another one. I came into some money and thought nows my chance so on impulse and limited for space I got a Fluval evo great starter tank. Unfortunately I admit I was one of the people that buys all the gear yet have no idea and made all the mistakes I made years ago (unfortunate addictive personality traits 4yrs sober now) . We live and learn turned it around and it’s coming along (but what is ever perfect in this hobby)
Reefing is definitely an addiction all in it's own. I'm not a fan of the stock EVO tank. There are a lot of threads here about the many, many ways folks have upgraded it. I don't want to do that much work to a new tank, so I am returning mine for something else. I would say that the good thing about it is that you have many folks that can give you advice and you do not need to do everything at once. It's a good little experiment.
I wish you luck and happiness. Welcome to the salty family!!
elvis presley 1970s GIF

OP
OP
TimD

TimD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is definitely an addiction all in it's own. I'm not a fan of the stock EVO tank. There are a lot of threads here about the many, many ways folks have upgraded it. I don't want to do that much work to a new tank, so I am returning mine for something else. I would say that the good thing about it is that you have many folks that can give you advice and you do not need to do everything at once. It's a good little experiment.
I wish you luck and happiness. Welcome to the salty family!!
elvis presley 1970s GIF
Hi there yes the tank which cost £149 then had to have a heater then pump upgrade and media baskets and AI prime. A good cheap sumped tank with plenty of potential, I’m currently rinsing a new substrate and praise the Lord I only need 20lbs of sand

OP
OP
TimD

TimD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

A college professor once asked me. Do you know why engineers love failure?

They love failure because it means they have an opportunity to learn from it.

My approach to life is this. You should not regret something you've learned a lesson from. Otherwise you wouldn't have learned the lesson in the first place. I've learned lots of lessons in reefing. I may be embarrassed to admit a few of them, but like I said, I don't regret them. I embrace them and know that at the end of the day I learned from them. We only become better reefers (and people) from our failures and mistakes.
Since I got my life back on the rails I now know what every day is a school day actually means. Currently rinsing sand for the tank and I’m so happy there’s only 20lbs to do .

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there yes the tank which cost £149 then had to have a heater then pump upgrade and media baskets and AI prime. A good cheap sumped tank with plenty of potential, I’m currently rinsing a new substrate and praise the Lord I only need 20lbs of sand
So true - all of that. That light is pure trash.
I am in the process today of moving my Hawkfish (Moe) and DaVinci Clown (Leo) into the Innovative Marine Nuvo 14. I paid $100 more for the IM but it came with a lid, media basket, filter sock and Mighty Jet variable speed pump. I already have a decent light from a previous build, so I don't need to buy one. I did the math.... if I had to buy an Octolid, media baskets and a new pump for the EVO... it would have cost me well over $100. I went way overboard with my sand. I definitely used less than 20# and it is pretty deep. You should be just fine.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the salty world Tim. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

OP
OP
TimD

TimD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true - all of that. That light is pure trash.
I am in the process today of moving my Hawkfish (Moe) and DaVinci Clown (Leo) into the Innovative Marine Nuvo 14. I paid $100 more for the IM but it came with a lid, media basket, filter sock and Mighty Jet variable speed pump. I already have a decent light from a previous build, so I don't need to buy one. I did the math.... if I had to buy an Octolid, media baskets and a new pump for the EVO... it would have cost me well over $100. I went way overboard with my sand. I definitely used less than 20# and it is pretty deep. You should be just fine.
Call me an impetuous fool and thanks for the heads up on the sand been rinsing so long the skins come off my knuckles.

Back