Regulating pH - An idea for those of you interested in stabilizing pH

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all the talk of pH regulation and people seeing favorable outcomes with higher pH and others claiming good results with stabilizing pH at a set value, I wonder if anyone has attempted dosing dual alkalinity components based on tank pH level. The idea being that you could have the benefits of running a higher tank pH without going excessively over your target value and limiting pH variability.

There seems to be some unknown territory with running a higher pH and with dosing Kalkwasser, Sodium Hydroxide and having a home ERV my pH is hitting 8.49. I'm sure others have even higher pH levels. This could potentially let you limit the pH fluctuation throughout the day.

This isn't something I'm considering doing at the moment, but it's an idea I had for those of you looking for rock solid pH.

Example: High pH alkalinity component (Sodium Hydroxide or Sodium Carbonate) if pH < 8.2 & Low pH alkalinity component (Sodium Carbonate or Sodium Bicarbonate) if pH > 8.2

I'm thinking this should be easy to do with some Apex programming and BRS Doser or a DOS unit. You would simply use RHF's DIY alkalinity recipes to have equal amounts of alkalinity in each solution (the higher pH & the lower pH solution).

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to aim for stable PH, I would probably get a sulinoid for my CO2 scrubber to open and close it to instead stop recirculating and bypass the scrubber all together.

For a while fuge on opposite light cycle helped, but my light in the fuge isn't good enough to keep up with the algae in the display when those are on so I am back to a drop at night

And that's with my 14 doses of sodash happening from lights out to lights on. The little bit of sea lettucs, this red tubular macro algae, little bit of hair and film on the glass boosts it pretty high during the day.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to aim for stable PH, I would probably get a sulinoid for my CO2 scrubber to open and close it to instead stop recirculating and bypass the scrubber all together.

For a while fuge on opposite light cycle helped, but my light in the fuge isn't good enough to keep up with the algae in the display when those are on so I am back to a drop at night

And that's with my 14 doses of sodash happening from lights out to lights on. The little bit of sea lettucs, this red tubular macro algae, little bit of hair and film on the glass boosts it pretty high during the day.
I’m thinking of turning the lights on and off in the Fuge based on pH. 8.2 on. 8.5 off. Seems easier than trying to pinpoint with chemicals or shutting off co2 scrubbers.

Setting up an experiment now to see how high I can get my pH up by running max intensity with a G6 XR15 and full spectrum. Ran this in FW and my pH stayed over 8. No controller. Just ran it 24/7

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never an issue running 7.9-8.2. Good growth, color, and health.
I dont see the need to try and keep ph at one number.
I have used a co2 scrubber to keep ph at 8.1-8.3 but never noticed a difference.
One of my systems.
20230513_154530.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the talk of pH regulation and people seeing favorable outcomes with higher pH and others claiming good results with stabilizing pH at a set value, I wonder if anyone has attempted dosing dual alkalinity components based on tank pH level. The idea being that you could have the benefits of running a higher tank pH without going excessively over your target value and limiting pH variability.

There seems to be some unknown territory with running a higher pH and with dosing Kalkwasser, Sodium Hydroxide and having a home ERV my pH is hitting 8.49. I'm sure others have even higher pH levels. This could potentially let you limit the pH fluctuation throughout the day.

This isn't something I'm considering doing at the moment, but it's an idea I had for those of you looking for rock solid pH.

Example: High pH alkalinity component (Sodium Hydroxide or Sodium Carbonate) if pH < 8.2 & Low pH alkalinity component (Sodium Carbonate or Sodium Bicarbonate) if pH > 8.2

I'm thinking this should be easy to do with some Apex programming and BRS Doser or a DOS unit. You would simply use RHF's DIY alkalinity recipes to have equal amounts of alkalinity in each solution (the higher pH & the lower pH solution).

One can certainly do that, but in my tank, using just kalkwasser, pH ran 8.3 to 8.55 and never got higher.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back