Regulation of carotenoids?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a paper or what not discussing if corals regulate their carotenoid production based off of the spectrum of light they receive?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a question better asked of Dana in the lighting forum. This is the only info I have. I hope it helps some?

2013-07-31 09.30.42.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effect of light and heterotrophy on carotenoid concentrations in the Caribbean anemone Aiptasia pallida (Verrill)

"We used Aiptasia pallida, a common Caribbean anemone, to investigate the effects of exogenous food sources, ultraviolet-A radiation (UVA, 320–400 nm), and photosynthetically active radiation (PAR, 400–700 nm) on carotenoid levels in zooxanthellate anthozoans. Anemones were exposed to one of three simulated light treatments in the laboratory for 38 days: PAR (60% below ambient)/UVA (similar to ambient), PAR/low UVA (42% below ambient), and low PAR (98.4% below ambient)/no UVA. In addition, anemones were either fed a carotenoid-rich diet of Artemia salina nauplii, or starved. Carotenoids identified in A. pallida included peridinin, diadinoxanthin, diatoxanthin and β-carotene. While a diet of Ar. salina nauplii had no effect on the carotenoid composition of A. pallida, a two-way analysis of variance revealed that anemones exposed to ambient UVA levels had significantly greater diatoxanthin concentrations relative to the total xanthophyll pool [diato:(diato+diadino)] after 10 days of exposure. This difference among treatments was not present at 20 days, but reappeared as an effect due to starvation rather than UVA at days 30 and 38. These results suggest that carotenoids in A. pallida are not influenced by exogenous feeding and that photoprotective xanthophyll cycling is sensitive to stresses such as UVA and starvation."

Other algae scale up carotenoids under high intensity or blue light as well...
In this paper a green algae produces more carotenoids under high light and with 470nm added.

Why are you aiming for increased carotenoids?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a paper or what not discussing if corals regulate their carotenoid production based off of the spectrum of light they receive?
I believe the Russian Titlyanov published a paper about coral spectral adaptation back in the 80's. Let me look. Remind me if I don't post by tomorrow.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effect of light and heterotrophy on carotenoid concentrations in the Caribbean anemone Aiptasia pallida (Verrill)

"We used Aiptasia pallida, a common Caribbean anemone, to investigate the effects of exogenous food sources, ultraviolet-A radiation (UVA, 320–400 nm), and photosynthetically active radiation (PAR, 400–700 nm) on carotenoid levels in zooxanthellate anthozoans. Anemones were exposed to one of three simulated light treatments in the laboratory for 38 days: PAR (60% below ambient)/UVA (similar to ambient), PAR/low UVA (42% below ambient), and low PAR (98.4% below ambient)/no UVA. In addition, anemones were either fed a carotenoid-rich diet of Artemia salina nauplii, or starved. Carotenoids identified in A. pallida included peridinin, diadinoxanthin, diatoxanthin and β-carotene. While a diet of Ar. salina nauplii had no effect on the carotenoid composition of A. pallida, a two-way analysis of variance revealed that anemones exposed to ambient UVA levels had significantly greater diatoxanthin concentrations relative to the total xanthophyll pool [diato:(diato+diadino)] after 10 days of exposure. This difference among treatments was not present at 20 days, but reappeared as an effect due to starvation rather than UVA at days 30 and 38. These results suggest that carotenoids in A. pallida are not influenced by exogenous feeding and that photoprotective xanthophyll cycling is sensitive to stresses such as UVA and starvation."

Other algae scale up carotenoids under high intensity or blue light as well...
In this paper a green algae produces more carotenoids under high light and with 470nm added.

Why are you aiming for increased carotenoids?

I am more or less just wanting to get a better understanding of carotenoids in corals and other cnidaria. Thank you for your response!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the Titlyanov reference:
Titlyanov, E.A., M.G. Shaposhnikova and V.I. Zvalinskii, 1980. Photosynthesis and adaptation of corals to irradiance. I. Contents and native state of photosynthetic pigments in symbiotic microalga. Photosynthetica 14 (3):413-421.
It deals with high and low light chromatic adaptations, including carotenoids peridinin, diadinoxanthin and diatoxanthin. Absorption spectra is briefly discussed.
As a footnote, I grow carnivorous plants and used different LED strip lights (one a 'daylight' and another mimicking the spectral quality of a Radium 20,000K.) The Sarracenias grown under the 20K lamp developed a deep red coloration, which I assume is due to the presence of zeaxanthin.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back