Reinforcing 240g stand

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of getting a 20 year old 240 stand/tank prepped for installation. Aside from all the other things I need to do, I want to see about reinforcing the existing stand, probably just from a peace of mind standpoint. It’s built well, with 3/4 inch plywood all around-front, sides, back, center support and top- glued and screwed. I’m planning to have a fish room in the basement for my sump and all equipment so not overly concerned about taking up room under the stand.
It has no support posts at the corners or back and there is no cross-bracing. Looking for advice on where and size I should be putting in for the additional additional support.
Thanks.

48CB93AF-EA57-4BD3-9DB6-E8F0D1BC352B.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2x6 four corners, front center,approx 2' apart along back,screw from top and bottom,never worry again ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plywood box is incredibly strong and the solid sides means no racking thus no cross bracing required. I'd look for any signs of water damage, and if none, I would not personally bother to do anything to it. Given the age of the tank, I imaging it is a rimmed glass tank, which means all the weight is supported at the edges. You could put in corner posts, I suppose, just not sure they'd do much. If you do, make sure they go all the way to the floor as opposed to sitting on the bottom panel.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plywood box is incredibly strong and the solid sides means no racking thus no cross bracing required. I'd look for any signs of water damage, and if none, I would not personally bother to do anything to it. Given the age of the tank, I imaging it is a rimmed glass tank, which means all the weight is supported at the edges. You could put in corner posts, I suppose, just not sure they'd do much. If you do, make sure they go all the way to the floor as opposed to sitting on the bottom panel.
There's also the risk in putting in corner posts that they create a stiffer spot in the stand which causes high spots and the tank to only be loaded at the corners. A lot of rimmed tanks can handle that, but its not ideal.

The stand has been working for 20 years - I wouldn't alter the way it handles loads. These plywood stands tend to be way more stable than the 2x4 monstrosities people build.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also the risk in putting in corner posts that they create a stiffer spot in the stand which causes high spots and the tank to only be loaded at the corners. A lot of rimmed tanks can handle that, but its not ideal.

The stand has been working for 20 years - I wouldn't alter the way it handles loads. These plywood stands tend to be way more stable than the 2x4 monstrosities people build.
Thanks guys. Good advice. May take a "light" approach to reinforcement.

Funny enough, the tank is a rimless 3/8" acrylic tank. Dual overflows/quad returns, drilled, blue back, full acrylic tops with 2 lift out acrylic covers. Think it was the Lambo of aquariums back in the day. Made by a company out of Colorado called US Aquariums. Guy I got it from 20 years ago bought the company and sold it off. Long out of business.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back