Reinford goby with ich

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a reinford goby and im pretty sure he has ich, a few white spots on his tail...
How can i quarantine him? A lfs i got him from told me i can't qt him....

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that you can't QT a Rainford Goby, it's their diet that makes it difficult. They like to graze by sifting the sand and eating hair algaes, etc. In a spartan bare bottom QT they can literally starve to death.

But you can use sand in a QT. Humblefish posted on this. I'll give you the link below. So do you have sand that is "dirty" enough with material for your fish to eat from an established tank?

So the big question is what does yours eat? Some have got theirs to eat Hikari's really small pellets, some feed Formula 2 which is a frozen cube for vegetarian type fish.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that you can't QT a Rainford Goby, it's their diet that makes it difficult. They like to graze by sifting the sand and eating hair algaes, etc. In a spartan bare bottom QT they can literally starve to death.

But you can use sand in a QT. Humblefish posted on this. I'll give you the link below. So do you have sand that is "dirty" enough with material for your fish to eat from an established tank?

So the big question is what does yours eat? Some have got theirs to eat Hikari's really small pellets, some feed Formula 2 which is a frozen cube for vegetarian type fish.

Mine has started sifting the sand a lot in the tank he's in and i could take sand from another tank and out it in qt for him. I'm not 100% sure if he's eating the frozen mysis yet.
I did dose herbtana 2 or 3 days ago and he looks drastically cleared up. If it reappears however this is very very helpful thank you!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad your goby is looking better. Just keep in mind that Ich appears and then "seems" to disappear. But it's still there. It's just going through life cycles and the only time you "see" it is "after" the parasites drop off the fish and leave behind those white spots (mucous spots from the wound trying to heal) as the parasite begins a new life cycle. Again, and again.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 4.27.20 PM.png

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen mine sifting sand. I just quarantine gobies, wrasse and jawfish with a sand bottom and some rock. I really don’t see the downside of it. Much less stressful on the fish. I qt a Rainford just the same as the others. Just fed spirulina a couple times per day.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very helpful thank you both so much. I'm going to start a qt with in a few days after i monitor him a while linger considering the parasite would already be in the substrate reproducing :(

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%

Back