Rekindling my Saltwater Passion with my Kids

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone-

I had a FOWLR 180G tank for abut 10 years ... about 15 years ago.

I am going to get my son his first tank (huge ocean fan) and re-ignite my passion for the hobby as well. I am looking to minimize some of the overall maintenance by purchasing an all-in-one kit (with the appropriate add-ons/upgrades as required).

Starting with tank, I am looking at the: Fluval Sea Flex Saltwater Aquarium Kit - 123 L (32.5 US gal) - Black

I prefer the Fluval over the 32 G: Coralife LED Biocube Aquarium LED

My budget is going to be around $500 for the tank.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fluval Sea Flex?

General thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aio tanks are great low maintenance tanks! Welcome to the club!
Chris Farley Hello GIF

OP
OP
A

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay ....

So I need some real help here. As I started deep diving in research, I realized I want more than the Fluval (mainly from a clean look and feel perspective). The location in my house that I have designated for the tank is not big. The measurements I am looking at are 40 long x 16 wide .. height is not an issue.

I am looking for tank that is got height but not a lot of width. This has proven challenging and I feel like I am back to square one. I was initially looking at an AIO but not sure that is going to be much of an option (which is okay). I would prefer not to go the custom build route and be able to acquire something in a reasonable time frame (with one month).

Can you recommend brands or options that are long and tall but not deep? I am also interested in a slim canopy where the lights can be housed inside.

I appreciate any assistance to get me back on the right track.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay ....

So I need some real help here. As I started deep diving in research, I realized I want more than the Fluval (mainly from a clean look and feel perspective). The location in my house that I have designated for the tank is not big. The measurements I am looking at are 40 long x 16 wide .. height is not an issue.

I am looking for tank that is got height but not a lot of width. This has proven challenging and I feel like I am back to square one. I was initially looking at an AIO but not sure that is going to be much of an option (which is okay). I would prefer not to go the custom build route and be able to acquire something in a reasonable time frame (with one month).

Can you recommend brands or options that are long and tall but not deep? I am also interested in a slim canopy where the lights can be housed inside.

I appreciate any assistance to get me back on the right track.
Is it a hard stop at the 16” mark?

OP
OP
A

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided on the Fluval Flex 32G and some upgrades right of the bat (based on reading here) which are below:
  1. Intank Media Basket for Fluval Flex 32.5 (x2)
  2. Sicce Syncra 1.5 Water Pump, 357 GPH
  3. PowerHeads: ?????
  4. OASE Heatup 100 submersible heater
  5. IceCap K1-Nano Protein Skimmer
  6. 35 lbs of Live Rock
  7. 50 lbs of Live Sand

I have two main questions:

1) In reading posts on power heads, it makes sense that two without as much power are better than one to ensure the best circulation in the tank. However, I am unclear on GPH recommended for this size tank (32x16x16). Opinions seem to vary but throwing the question out there as I need to purchase something and need some help.

2) Do I have the right rock/sand ratio - I will be keeping corals but don't want too much rock. I also want a 2" sand depth.

Thanks Much!

GHogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided on the Fluval Flex 32G and some upgrades right of the bat (based on reading here) which are below:
  1. Intank Media Basket for Fluval Flex 32.5 (x2)
  2. Sicce Syncra 1.5 Water Pump, 357 GPH
  3. PowerHeads: ?????
  4. OASE Heatup 100 submersible heater
  5. IceCap K1-Nano Protein Skimmer
  6. 35 lbs of Live Rock
  7. 50 lbs of Live Sand

I have two main questions:

1) In reading posts on power heads, it makes sense that two without as much power are better than one to ensure the best circulation in the tank. However, I am unclear on GPH recommended for this size tank (32x16x16). Opinions seem to vary but throwing the question out there as I need to purchase something and need some help.

2) Do I have the right rock/sand ratio - I will be keeping corals but don't want too much rock. I also want a 2" sand depth.

Thanks Much!
You can save yourself a TON of money by not going 100% live sand. Most people will buy the big bags of aragonite and seed it with a smaller amount of live sand to help instigate bacteria growth. The same for live rock, you can order cheaper dry rock and just buy one or two pieces of true live rock.

OP
OP
A

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still seeking an answer here on total rock/sand and power heads.

32G
Sicce Syncra 1.5 Water Pump, 357 GPH

Curious if this only pumps 357 GPH wouldn't a wavemaker/powerhead max out at the same flow? Would I ever need a 1050 gph. Or do I have this wrong.

I really want two power heads (one on each side) but would like some feedback on what works and doesn't for this size tank. Again, looking to purchase so any assistance would be welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back