Struggling Newbie

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, welcome to the reef. Tons of knowledgeable people around here that are happy to help you figure out whatever you need to know.

And to answer your original question, your light settings look okay, but you really don’t need very much red. In the ocean it is scattered pretty quickly by the water. So drop the red down and bump up the green to be about 10-15% and that should be alright.

Got any fish in there? Couldn’t see any in the photo.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a starter coral that is pretty much bullet proof. look for your generic red, green or blue mushrooms. they will do fine with those lights.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha, I just looked and I’m dumb. There isn’t a green setting. So yeah drop the red and you should be gold.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My 13 year old son has had his saltwater tank for 1.5 years. I finally let him get corral for it. I want to make sure I have lighting correct for the fish and coral. We have the Fluval Sea Flex 32 Saltwater tank. Please be kind as we are new to all this and trying we are just struggling with the lighting. I have a pictures attached hoping it helps. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7221.jpeg IMG_7222.jpeg
If your salinity is truly 1.040sg, then you will need to add 35% of your current water volume as fresh (salt free) water (RODI). I would do this over a week personally. As to the calibration of your refractometer, you can make a calibration solution from table salt and RODI, if you wish. Some refractometers are designed such that you can calibrate in RODI water to get a zero reading, however lots of refractometers are not at all accurate using that method.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back