Relocated Reef Tank

ARA_4708

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys, I've been in this hobby for about 9 months now so please bear with me. I just moved my 80 gallon reef tank 2 days ago and saved 50% of the saltwater in 5 gallon buckets. Due to complications with the move, I still have not set the tank back up yet. I plan on doing so tonight (48 hours later). How long is too long to re-use the water in the buckets? I'm scared to refill with all newly mixed Saltwater because I have 4 fish that are now part of the family waiting in a bucket for their home to be put back together.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use an ayirstone, etc - to aerate the 'old water' and bring it up the proper temperature (has the old water had a pump or something to maintain flow/gas exchange?). If the fish are 'waiting in a bucket' - the old water is probably fine too.

Of course its too late to take it all back - but - when I have done this (and it works fine) - its best to do the change quickly (like in a day). The thing I would be worried about - is - what have you done with your filter, your rock, etc - have they still been running? (I assume you have filtration in your fish bucket?

I would be much more concerned with the fish, rock and filter than the other water. Hopefully it will all work out. When I have done this - I have always (as a precaution) added some 'bacteria in a bottle' to help prevent any ammonia spikes, etc.

Hope everything goes ok! changing things out is always stressful

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any live rock that you are moving? That should help get things going quickly.

If you don’t, and aren’t planning on adding live sand, the tank may need to cycle before you re-add the fish.

If you do, just use as much new salt water as you can and acclimate the fish to it like you would do for a new purchase.

OP
OP
A

ARA_4708

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the feedback! The bucket with fish just has an air stone and a heater. None of the old water has been aerated, and the live rock that I had is just sitting in an ice chest with tank water. My sump is completely empty and plumbing all disassembled. I was thinking of rinsing and using my old sand but if buying new sand and bacteria in a bottle would allow for the fish to be put back in without having to cycle the tank again I will do that instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine using the rock and adding the water the fish were in plus some new saltwater. Worst case take it slow and dont fill the tank completely with NSW the first day but just a bit for like 2 days, and some Fritzyme 9 just in case

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the feedback! The bucket with fish just has an air stone and a heater. None of the old water has been aerated, and the live rock that I had is just sitting in an ice chest with tank water. My sump is completely empty and plumbing all disassembled. I was thinking of rinsing and using my old sand but if buying new sand and bacteria in a bottle would allow for the fish to be put back in without having to cycle the tank again I will do that instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend rinsing everything just to get any gunk out that may have settled.

Honestly, I would just get fresh water. Clean water never hurt anything.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely rinse the sand just in case, bacteria should mostly survive a quick rinse. Fill new tank and add fritzyme 9 (it is prob the fastest working of the bottle bacterias), then add fish. This is assuming no corals though

OP
OP
A

ARA_4708

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely rinse the sand just in case, bacteria should mostly survive a quick rinse. Fill new tank and add fritzyme 9 (it is prob the fastest working of the bottle bacterias), then add fish. This is assuming no corals though
Wow, I was so worried about the fish I forgot to mention that I do have 1 torch coral, 1 goniopora and some zoas that are in tank water with the aquascape rocks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back