Relocating to St Pete

armyreef223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. I’m relocating from Pennsylvania to St Pete inabout 6 weeks. I have a 93 cube I’m setting up when I get there. Going to be looking for some good quality LFS and hobbyists with some nice frags they are trimming. Any suggestions??

AcanSweeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and other ichthy stuff is an awesome shop. Bit of a drive from st Pete but worth the visit

Grelby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tropical reef is a pretty cool shop. I went in there the other day for the first time, and they have some nice stuff.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to FL! You do have to drive a bit to get to some of the LFS, but there's plenty. To add to the ones mentioned and guessing their distance from you.

Sea Life is in St Pete. Has a mix of everything. Fresh too if like.
Creative Aquariums in Tampa. Plenty of coral here. Found some bargains here. Shouldn't be too far from you. Just over the bridge since it's in South Tampa.
Coral Corral - Oldsmar down the street from Fish & Other Icthy Stuff. Lots of coral here too.
Marine Warehouse - Plenty of coral and fish. Has fresh.
What's in Your Tank - Land O Lakes. Friendliest owner in town. Gotten some nice bargain frags here. Worth the visit.
Drysdale - Land O Lakes. Decent coral here
Frag Freak - Since you'll be in St Pete, should mention them. In northern Sarasota so just a hop over the skyway for you, but I've scored some nice stuff here. Friendly owner & well worth a stop if you're in the area.

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the move!
I lived in Madeira Beach for a couple years. Loved that area, now back in NY and I am still drawn there.
Someday I’ll go back.
Good luck to you.

OP
OP
armyreef223

armyreef223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I’ll def be checking these places out. Are there any local Reef groups or annual frag swaps in the area as well??

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the area.
Many stores and hobbyists in the area.
Reefapalooza is coming up in April, Reef Visions has a show in July I think and you just missed Josh Porksandwiches show last month.

Tampa Bay Reef Club and Reef Visions are the 2 clubs I know of in the area.

What kind of corals are you looking for? Acros , lps, softies?

ReefMeUpScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check out Sea Life on Us-19 near a go-kart place in central st Pete. The owner Coal is very nice and knowledgeable and the coral selection is nice. Have a decent fish selection too.

A Tropical Reef is alright but the guy usually in isn’t the most helpful. The coral is a bit pricey and lacking but I think it’s because they’re moving to a permanent location soon.

I have a Biocube 32 gallon and am going to check out Tampa locations tomorrow!

SR52012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Whats in your tank
Awesome store and owner is always willing to help and answer any questions you have.

Also a local store that ppl dont really know is local is Salty Bottom Reef Company. https://saltybottomreefcompany.com/ It is an online store for the most part but they will work with you on local pickup so you dont have to pay shipping.

NanoreefingMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite store is marine warehouse but it’s in Tampa.

Have you moved here yet ?

OP
OP
armyreef223

armyreef223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve been here since beginning of April. I’ve been to A Tropical Reef and Sea Life. Both are great stores. I can’t get over the prices of coral and fish down here compared to back in PA. A lot cheaper down here. It’s nice!!!

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out Sea life when I was at reggae rise up a few months back. Nice shop and owner is cool. Decent selection as well.

ReefMeUpScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve been here since beginning of April. I’ve been to A Tropical Reef and Sea Life. Both are great stores. I can’t get over the prices of coral and fish down here compared to back in PA. A lot cheaper down here. It’s nice!!!

I always find prices elsewhere interesting. I noticed in Denver it was about the same as here at the one place I went but have heard it’s more elsewhere there.

How much approx is say a head of hammer or frogspawn in pa?

OP
OP
armyreef223

armyreef223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find prices elsewhere interesting. I noticed in Denver it was about the same as here at the one place I went but have heard it’s more elsewhere there.

How much approx is say a head of hammer or frogspawn in pa?

You can find regular green hammers/spawns from true hobbyists for about $10-15 a head but any other color they charge in upwards of $40-50 a head.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in st petersburg for a few days. What stores have you found so far that I should really check out?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. I’m relocating from Pennsylvania to St Pete inabout 6 weeks. I have a 93 cube I’m setting up when I get there. Going to be looking for some good quality LFS and hobbyists with some nice frags they are trimming. Any suggestions??

@armyreef223 - Welcome to the Sunshine State mate! I was born and raised right here in the Tampabay area so i have been here for 45 years!
Also, you you should request to join our Private group called Tampa Reef Keepers !

My TOP 4 LFS
Marine Warehouse Aquarium (Tampa)
A&R Aquariums (StPete Tyrone area)
Sealife fish and Aquarium (StPete)
Creative Aquariums (Tampa)

My Top Online Suppliers:
@Bulk Reef Supply
@premiumaquatics
@MarineDepot

Top Online Coral Suppliers
@AquaSD
@CherryCorals
@uniquecorals
@Vivid Aquariums

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back