Relocation Tips

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Yall,

This is a general conceptual question, but let's say you wanted to relocate a saltwater tank 8 hours away, what would you do?
I would imagine the best way would be to:
0. Prepare to sell off some extra frags that are too big or could be too fragile to travel with.
1. Set up the tank(s) in the new location first.
2. Set up buckets for all livestock to go into. Make sure to have fish without any objects that could move / smush / harm fish in the same bucket.
3. Set up a bucket or containers for corals to go into on frag plugs (or something similar). Goal is to not have everything hitting each other all the time.
4. Set up an air bubbler for the duration of the car ride using a car power-inverter
5. Once you arrive in your desination, but your fish in a holding tank. Coral, depending on the species, you may be able to get away with keeping them in a bucket overnight(??)
6. Then, you can start setting up your display tank with rockwork (if you brought it), set up aquascape with corals, then put your fish in. (Or if your tank is big enough and the number of fish you have is small, you don't need 2 tanks, just be careful placing the rockwork).

Any other tips?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I'd move everything into some Rubbermaid troughs for interim holding and then dismantle, clean and get the tank moved and setup at the new location. I'd insta-cycle the new tank so it's ready to go, ie: when you move the rock, corals, fish and inverts - they can go straight into the tank after the trip.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I'd move everything into some Rubbermaid troughs for interim holding and then dismantle, clean and get the tank moved and setup at the new location. I'd insta-cycle the new tank so it's ready to go, ie: when you move the rock, corals, fish and inverts - they can go straight into the tank after the trip.
Same ^. Super sound advice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back