OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check your salinity asap. That kind of drop in magnesium is only possible if your salinity is incredibly low like below 25ppt. That low of salinity is deadly to corals.
It’s good! This was before I added any corals and a few months ago but after topping off with distilled water for a few weeks. Sorry I didn’t include more details. My levels have been good and corals have been growing and happy.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3C56C5FB-9B95-4EA7-B325-9EFB716C0E2C.gif

I’m having trouble following this..?

So is this the result of a massive dump of non-salt water into the tank? If so then you are at hyposalinity and need to add salt back to 35ppm. Unless your using some kind of salt with no calcium/mag/alk it should bring them back into tolerable levels with fixing salinity

If your referring to the natural drop of ca/alk/mag levels by coral take up, well… that’s what dosing is for.

It’s hard to imagine how just WCs wouldn’t keep those levels in check, unless your tank is jam packed full of CCA and SPS. Do you have a tank pic or build thread?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly you have a Nano tank. If you accidentally added more RODI than just what evaporated, this will reduce your salinity and drop all the big 3 equivalently. Ex if your salinity was 35ppt 9dkh 450Ca 1350mg before and salinity dropped to 30ppt I would fully expect 8.7dkh 385ca 1157mg.

If you overdo it on the top off by just a little bit (ex lowered tank salinity by less than 1ppt), it won't hurt beginner friendly corals. Just let the extra evaporate out and your parameters will get back in check on their own.

If you dump waaay to much in, remove some of the water and replace with saltwater until the change is less than 1ppt (you can mix higher salinity in these cases)

I looked up reef complete by seachem and this will not fix your parameters as a single additive. It only contains calcium and magnesium. It does not contain any carbonate, bicarbonate, or hydroxide which is the other half of the coral skeleton building block needed to maintain alkalinity.

For your size tank, parameters can be kept stable purely from water changes. It's too easy to overdose with an additive in that small of a tank and a 25% water change on a nano is real cheap. If you do want to dose to limit water changes, you are going to also need baking soda to maintain the alkalinity. Unless you have substantial corraline algae and stoney corals like SPS or LPS you should not need to dose at all.
^ yup

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good! This was before I added any corals and a few months ago but after topping off with distilled water for a few weeks. Sorry I didn’t include more details. My levels have been good and corals have been growing and happy.
Either your salinity is low or your magnesium test was done incorrectly. At 35ppt magnesium of standard salt mixes ranges between 1200 and 1450 with 1350 being the most common. A reading of 890ppm Mg can only happen in hyposalinity around 25ppt. Magnesium is not consumed by corals in large amounts (my tank used 1dKH worth of alkalinity a day and only used 2ppm of magnesium).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3C56C5FB-9B95-4EA7-B325-9EFB716C0E2C.gif

I’m having trouble following this..?

So is this the result of a massive dump of non-salt water into the tank? If so then you are at hyposalinity and need to add salt back to 35ppm. Unless your using some kind of salt with no calcium/mag/alk it should bring them back into tolerable levels with fixing salinity

If your referring to the natural drop of ca/alk/mag levels by coral take up, well… that’s what dosing is for.

It’s hard to imagine how just WCs wouldn’t keep those levels in check, unless your tank is jam packed full of CCA and SPS. Do you have a tank pic or build thread?
I did post one. Okay so a few months ago when my tank was rock only with fish and first being setup I topped off with distilled water and that dropped my levels very low after getting it tested at my lfs because I didn’t have the test kits on hand and so I started supplementing Reef Complete and my levels went back so I kept adding like half a capful to my ato weekly and it’s been good and my corals are growing I noticed. I still top off with distilled water and do weekly water changes and have been testing my levels and they have been good so I keep adding it to my ato.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Either your salinity is low or your magnesium test was done incorrectly. At 35ppt magnesium of standard salt mixes ranges between 1200 and 1450 with 1350 being the most common. A reading of 890ppm Mg can only happen in hyposalinity around 25ppt. Magnesium is not consumed by corals in large amounts (my tank used 1dKH worth of alkalinity a day and only used 2ppm of magnesium).
So it’s not now and my levels are fine. And corals are happy and growing but I still add around a capful of Reef Complete weekly to my ato. I do think the test was so low because it was diluted problem solved but I still like to add my minerals back in.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve been adding calcium although it says it maintains levels of magnesium.

EDIT: I was thinking it was like their alk which adds a pinch of things like mag and strontium to keep the levels stable when correcting for the addition of sodium. This may or may not be the case with reef complete.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EDIT: I was thinking it was like their alk which adds a pinch of things like mag and strontium to keep the levels stable when correcting for the addition of sodium. This may or may not be the case with reef complete.
I believe so.
Reef Complete® is a concentrated (160,000 mg/L) optimized blend of ionic calcium designed to restore and maintain calcium to levels found in natural seawater without affecting pH. Calcium and carbonates are essential to all coral growth. If either becomes deficient, coral growth will cease, followed by a rapid decline in coral health. To prevent this you must provide calcium (Reef Complete®) and carbonates (Reef Builder™ or Reef Carbonate™).
Reef Complete® also includes magnesium and strontium in amounts proportionate to typical utilization ratios (100:5:0.1, Ca:Mg:Sr). This allows one to maintain these two important elements while maintaining calcium

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s not now and my levels are fine. And corals are happy and growing but I still add around a capful of Reef Complete weekly to my ato. I do think the test was so low because it was diluted problem solved but I still like to add my minerals back in.
If you even need it (testing regularly will confirm), use allforreef or kalkwasser to do this or dose reef complete and reef carbonate. Reef complete is not complete dosing. It is only calcium.

Only dosing reef complete will elevate your calcium levels, tank your Alkalinity levels and kill your coral. The goal here is stability in the order of importance Alkalinity, then calcium, then magnesium. Calcium can deviate a lot +-50 ppm without harm. Alkalinity needs to stay +-1dKH and magnesium can go all over the place as long as it's between 1200 and 1600.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you even need it (testing regularly will confirm), use allforreef or kalkwasser to do this or dose reef complete and reef carbonate. Reef complete is not complete dosing. It is only calcium.

Only dosing reef complete will elevate your calcium levels, tank your Alkalinity levels and kill your coral. The goal here is stability in the order of importance Alkalinity, then calcium, then magnesium. Calcium can deviate a lot +-50 ppm without harm. Alkalinity needs to stay +-1dKH and magnesium can go all over the place as long as it's between 1200 and 1600.
Thanks I’ll test again and see but also note that I think not dumping a lot of it directly in the tank and it being added in my ato may be helping that.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ll test again and see but also note that I think not dumping a lot of it directly in the tank and it being added in my ato may be helping that.
Adding dosing to your ato is a good way to do so in the low demand stages.

I always follow this progression with my tanks. Water changes only, then add complete 1 part additive like kalkwasser to my auto top off when that can't keep up, then move to a dosing pump with 2/3 part, and for very large tanks the final stage would be a calcium reactor.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I never thought of this as being a possibility lol as it was also before I got my ato…but I did a cup or two a day. So it’s possibly that this is the answer.
This is what I was said with my first comment... topping off too much freshwater will cause your levels to drop because you're diluting your system. Replacement freshwater for evaporation has to be near exact so you don't dilute the tank. The same applies if you don't put enough freshwater in. This will cause your tank to become saturated over time and your levels will rise. I don't use an ATO so I have a piece of tape marking my level and I only fill to that level when it drops because that is what has evaporated.

Of course remineralizing will cause your levels to go up.... Remineralized freshwater for a saltwater system is basically making up saltwater. Having said that, if you didn't remineralize it with your salt mix then depending on what you used your levels like calcium, etc will go up but not your salinity. Be sure to only topoff with freshwater the amount that was lost through evaporation.

I'm surprised your LFS told you the distilled water was the culprit.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding dosing to your ato is a good way to do so in the low demand stages.

I always follow this progression with my tanks. Water changes only, then add complete 1 part additive like kalkwasser to my auto top off when that can't keep up, then move to a dosing pump with 2/3 part, and for very large tanks the final stage would be a calcium reactor.
It might be just me but dosing to ATO is just adding a variation factor to dosing. I would never recommend that (hot day more dosing, cold day less)
My thinking is when you start to dose do it straight with precision and constantly so get a doser since you will buy it anyway.

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be just me but dosing to ATO is just adding a variation factor to dosing. I would never recall that (hot day moser dosing, cold day less)
My thinking is when you start to dose do it straight with precision and constantly so get a doser since you will buy it anyway.
The point of the ATO dosing is when someone can't yet justify the cost of a dosing pump but do have an ATO. Creates a middle ground where additives can be added more slowly than once per day without the added expense of a dosing pump. All of my tanks are outfitted with dosing provisions and share a RODI, so I do skip that step now, but kalkwasser worked great for my early stages of reefing when I was working with much less disposable income.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into dosing Kalkwasser with a dosing pump. Approximate how much alk and calcium you use daily and dose accordingly. I would leave the ato for just rodi

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back