Remote Sump - Overhead Pipes?

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am planning to put in a 200G tank in my living room on the ground floor of my house. I would like to place my sump in the garage (about 50 feet away) but have no crawl space under the house so plumping would need to go overhead between the first and second story, then come back down in the garage into the sump. Spent 15 min searching for designs but could find anything.

I understand a normal drain design wouldn't work, any suggestions?

One idea could be using a overflow sump below the display tank to house 2 pumps (for redundancy) to pump water to the sump in the garage. The two pumps could be matched closely to the return flow with high/low water level sensors to supervise as the to-sump/return flows would be slightly different. High water level increasing flow rates on the to-sump pump, low water level sensor reducing output.

Would need to also supervise the return pumps so a failure on either end wouldn't overflow any of the tanks. Water level in the sump may also be tricky to keep constant?

Thoughts?

Plumbing.png

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

If the pump output is controllable was thinking water sensors to match in/out flow mismatch. Could double up pumps on each side for reduency with flow meters for supervision.

I'm familiar with programing but havnt used an apex before.

There has to be some best practice for this type of setup, can't be the first one having to plum up a wall.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, anything is possible. I would look into logic to control in/out pumps based on status of opposite pump. I.e.....If pump out off, then turn off return in. Flow meter would also be good. To me this would be the biggest risk to flood. Everything else is easy and no different than plumping in a house that runs in the walls/ ceiling.

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good idea, could get away with 1 pump each side if logic controlled.

Has anyone seen a build like this before? Don't want to reinvent the wheel.

swmorrisus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good idea, could get away with 1 pump each side if logic controlled.

Has anyone seen a build like this before? Don't want to reinvent the wheel.
I was curious if you have figured out a solution. I am doing something similar. I have a 400 gallon tank, the sump is located under the tank, but I need to pump from the sump to a chiller located outside through overhead lines. I have been researching pumps capable of high head pressure. I need about 40 feet of head. I have contacted EcoTech about connecting two Vectra L2 in series. I have also looked at the Abyzz 400 and 1200. I am also considering two pumps one at the sump and the other at the chiller and controlling the flow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back