Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out please.

I ordered 5 tangs from saltwaterfish.com

Actually, let me explain my tank right now. I have a few fish, and 2 of them are tangs. One yellow and one blue. The yellow tang looks perfect, no ich. The blue eats super healthy and occasional has one or two ich spots, but it doesn’t affect him at all. He eats like a pig, is super healthy, and growing a lot since I got him.

I just ordered 5 tangs a few days ago, and I have about 3 weeks until they come. My plan was to QT them before I add them in the tank, but what’s the point? I’m most worried about the Acanthurus tangs; I got 3 of them: mimic, orange shoulder, and lavender.

I think I should call them to remove those fish from my cart. My tank is over 300 gallons. I already QT the whole tank after a velvet breakout, and luckily that problem is now gone. I haven’t lost a fish in a few months which is very good since I did the QT a few months ago.

Oh, forgot to mention, I use NSW for water changes, so I’m constantly adding something “wet” to the tank.

@Paul B #reefsquad

What is my best bet? I’m lucky I planned this ahead of time, because I can easily backtrack my order of those tangs.

My biggest worry is those Acanthurus tangs being such ich magnets. If I QT them with copper, they won’t have any immunity against the ich in my tank to fight it themselves. I don’t want the ich to use them as a host and get out of control.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out please.

Actually, let me explain my tank right now. I have a few fish, and 2 of them are tangs. One yellow and one blue. The yellow tang looks perfect, no ich. The blue eats super healthy and occasional has one or two ich spots, but it doesn’t affect him at all. He eats like a pig, is super healthy, and growing a lot since I got him.

I just ordered 5 tangs a few days ago, and I have about 3 weeks until they come. My plan was to QT them before I add them in the tank, but what’s the point? I’m most worried about the Acanthurus tangs; I got 3 of them: mimic, orange shoulder, and lavender.

I think I should call them to remove those fish from my cart. My tank is over 300 gallons. I already QT the whole tank after a velvet breakout, and luckily that problem is now gone. I haven’t lost a fish in a few months which is very good since I did the QT a few months ago.

Oh, forgot to mention, I use NSW for water changes, so I’m constantly adding something “wet” to the tank.

@Paul B #reefsquad

What is my best bet? I’m lucky I planned this ahead of time, because I can easily backtrack my order of those tangs.

My biggest worry is those Acanthurus tangs being such ich magnets. If I QT them with copper, they won’t have any immunity against the ich in my tank to fight it themselves. I don’t want the ich to use them as a host and get out of control.

You have to qt for velvet n brook.. in a 300 ich won’t do anything.. between my small uv, filter socks, feeding nori, fish oil, and mixed foods. I have NEVER lost a fish to ich in my dt.. you may see a spot once in a blue moon.. that’s it. In smaller tanks it can be a problem..

Or if you aren’t comfortable u can remove all fish and treat then add again.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys! I appreciate that. Yes, I’m going to QT for velvet and brook. I made the mistake of adding a few tangs without QT and I introduced velvet which killed a lot of fish. I feel more calm right now, and I have a UV running too.

I never used to QT until this year, when I got hit with velvet.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out please.

@Paul B #reefsquad

If you have ich in your tank and are going to add them anyway, QT is pointless. Unless they come in with other pathogens like velvet, Brook, etc.

Acanthurus tangs may not fare so well in a tank with ich. @Paul B is a great person to take advice from if you are going that route. Also using methods to reduce the free swimming population in your DT may be helpful. Things like oxydators, UV, diatom, etc.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I have two hippo tangs, a bariene, mimic, achillies soon, about 18 tangs or so.. just take precaution.. ich is nothing.. velvet is the devil.

Before I restarted I had same exact fish, now I just have doubles.. had all the tangs 10 yrs then I got velvet from not qt clownfish (ironic) and lost every dang fish.. 50 or so.. I had huge fish.. I don’t think people realize how bad velvet is.. I even caught most at night and tried to save them.. not 1 survived.. very depressing

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gregorjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich isnt fatal, ALL fish have ich... there is your answer.

I'm no authority type but this isn't true... ich is not some magically pathogen that randomly appears. It may be a pain but it can be kept out of an aquarium, with the proper techniques and whatnot

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I have two hippo tangs, a bariene, mimic, achillies soon, about 18 tangs or so.. just take precaution.. ich is nothing.. velvet is the devil.

Before I restarted I had same exact fish, now I just have doubles.. had all the tangs 10 yrs then I got velvet from not qt clownfish (ironic) and lost every dang fish.. 50 or so.. I had huge fish.. I don’t think people realize how bad velvet is.. I even caught most at night and tried to save them.. not 1 survived.. very depressing
This^^^ is why I advocate for QT and a parasite free DT. Sorry to hear about that. It's a major bummer to go through a wipeout like that. :(

Obviously it's up to each aquarist to decide what route to take. There are certain things that have important/helpful no matter what route you take.

Things like high quality food, supplements, good chemistry are important for all of us :).

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^^^ is why I advocate for QT and a parasite free DT. Sorry to hear about that. It's a major bummer to go through a wipeout like that. :(
Thanks, I’m so paranoid adding anything to my tank.. I have 3 tangs I caught w velvet in qt and manger to save them. Took vids of the velvet and all.. after the long copper treatment I will be watching them a bit, then I will copper again and add..

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no authority type but this isn't true... ich is not some magically pathogen that randomly appears. It may be a pain but it can be kept out of an aquarium, with the proper techniques and whatnot

Yes it is. How long have you kept fish?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to end up keeping my order and QT them in copper to prevent velvet.

Have you ever seen this video? It talks about the same situation I am going through, except he is way more religious than I am with QT. Basically, he QT’d EVERY fish he got, and ended up with ich, but he said it might have came on a coral or something. His tank is huge with lots of live rock and coral, so he didn’t tear the tank down. I think he even said the ich died off on it’s own after a while, but don’t quote me on that.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were true.... people w smaller tanks would be killing fish left and right.. trust me.

How do you think people like myself Paul B and numerous others here don't lose fish and don't qt? Magic?

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think people like myself Paul B and numerous others here don't lose fish and don't qt? Magic?
Lol.. put a strand of velvet in there and say good bye forever to every fish..

In a smaller system.. 20-30’gallon your fish will likely be goners w ich imo..

My tank has ich currently and it’s nothing, fish are show pieces.. I’ll get vids soon.

on my tank before velvet, I offered 500$ for anyone to come over and scare my fish.. I even said you can place the fish in a small bowl and do whatever you want.. it may die of you shaking it or whatever you want to do.. but guess what will never happen? It won’t show not even one speck of ich..

Not one person would bet me.. Anyway.. this is just my belief I’m
Not here to argue or offend.. but I stand firm on velvet.. pray you never introduce it, because it is the thanos for tanks in real life.

if you introduce brook to your tank that would be regular thanos.. likely 50% or more death since the fish need to make contact w each other

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.. put a strand of velvet in there and say good bye forever to every fish..

In a smaller system.. 20-30’gallon your fish will likely be goners w ich imo..

My tank has ich currently and it’s nothing, fish are show pieces.. I’ll get vids soon.

Btw on my tank before velvet, I offered 500$ for anyone to come over and scare my fish.. I even said you can place the fish in a small bowl and do whatever you want.. it may die of you shaking it or whatever you want to do.. but guess what will never happen? It won’t show not even one speck of ich..

Not one person would bet me.. Anyway.. this is just my belief I’m
Not here to argue or offend.. but I stand firm on velvet.. pray you never introduce it, because it is the thanos for tanks in real life.

Btw if you introduce brook to your tank that would be regular thanos.. likely 50% or more death since the fish need to make contact w each other
Love the thanos reference lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 129 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back