Removing black sump sponge - Replacing with Marine Pure Blocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to remove the black sponge in my RSR 250 sump. I have rinsed it in the last 30 days. I have 2 1" MarinePure blocks to put in there.

Question: Will it be a problem with bacteria population to just pull the sponge and add the blocks or should I keep both in the sump for a while to seed the block?

If you think I should seed the blocks. How long would you think I should leave the sponge in?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to remove the black sponge in my RSR 250 sump. I have rinsed it in the last 30 days. I have 2 1" MarinePure blocks to put in there.

Question: Will it be a problem with bacteria population to just pull the sponge and add the blocks or should I keep both in the sump for a while to seed the block?

If you think I should seed the blocks. How long would you think I should leave the sponge in?
I wash out that sponge in tap every few months and don't worry too much about the bacteria. Most of the filtration is in your live rock. I have a pretty low bioload too though.
With those marine pure, seems like I reaqd about someone having trouble getting it out of that section. That it had cemented in place... think it was in the show off your reefer thread

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back