Removing black sump sponge - Replacing with Marine Pure Blocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to remove the black sponge in my RSR 250 sump. I have rinsed it in the last 30 days. I have 2 1" MarinePure blocks to put in there.

Question: Will it be a problem with bacteria population to just pull the sponge and add the blocks or should I keep both in the sump for a while to seed the block?

If you think I should seed the blocks. How long would you think I should leave the sponge in?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to remove the black sponge in my RSR 250 sump. I have rinsed it in the last 30 days. I have 2 1" MarinePure blocks to put in there.

Question: Will it be a problem with bacteria population to just pull the sponge and add the blocks or should I keep both in the sump for a while to seed the block?

If you think I should seed the blocks. How long would you think I should leave the sponge in?
I wash out that sponge in tap every few months and don't worry too much about the bacteria. Most of the filtration is in your live rock. I have a pretty low bioload too though.
With those marine pure, seems like I reaqd about someone having trouble getting it out of that section. That it had cemented in place... think it was in the show off your reefer thread

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back