Removing Ceramic Bio Balls?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bag of ceramic bio balls that came with my eShopps Deskmate in the rear chamber of the tank. Been in there for 10 months now, and the tank is doing great. Will I need to remove them at some point, or will it be just like live rock and I can leave them in there.

In all my other tanks I've only ever used live rock and rock rubble, so wanted to make sure I can keep them in there.

Thank you!

Tank in it's current form:
IMG_8079.JPG

Rear Chamber:
IMG_8081.JPG

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• PXL_20231212_152523951.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231212_152523951.MP.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20231212_152508990.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231212_152508990.MP.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'll just continue to blow off the detritus from the top of them when I do my weekly water changes, and let em rock and roll.

Appreciate the feedback and pictures!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reef tank in the world where the biofilter on rocks and sand would be harmed by removing the surrounding surface area from sumps or back chambers or from the display

those ceramic spheres aren’t doing anything you can measure

if you add ten more, what you can measure regarding ammonia control is the same as if you instantly removed them all, *and the sand* *and half your live rock* leaving only the leftover rocks and the current bioload. Thinking that a reef tank needs surface area beyond just a portion of the existing rocks to function is old cycling science, the fear of too few bacteria.

your ammonia control cant be affected by adding more or reducing the existing spheres, they’re impact is neutral to your biofilter because the live rock surface area is beyond what the tank needs.

they are harmless and neutral. If the waste wasn’t getting caught there in the spheres it would just get caught in the display or on the floor of the back chamber

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now someone is looking up a meme to describe a crazy person he he

as if removing -bacteria- from a bio system won’t lower the filtration ability….

it won’t, it doesn’t, here’s sixty pages of us using the new rules for real reef tank work:

in that thread in several jobs we removed 100% of the extra surface area from established reef tanks so we can move homes or upgrade / change tanks, leaving only some or all of the original rockwork (keeping the same fish load) and not one tank died

not one time did a calibrated seneye show a loss of biofilter

why is that

because to drive a car down the highway I need only four tires.

if someone sells me a dually and I remove the two extra back tires I can still drive down the freeway

bioballs, ceramic spheres, bio matrix, reef tank sand, and about 70% of people’s live rock are just two extra tires attached to the reef vehicle. For the bioloads we carry, even in lots of fish setups, thirty percent of the rock we use is still more than the system needs. So this means in all of reefing, all of it per the thread above, if we just keep some or all of the original live rock in the display we are free to do what we want with reef tanks and all the filtration surface area we were trained to use (you can remove it without harm)

old cycling science removes options of cleaning, handling and reef care by supplanting in concern over bacteria

new cycling science adds new options to reefing care, handling and procedure by instilling complete confidence in bacteria even where numbers are reduced. New cycling science knows to factor surface area and placement in reef jobs

Casper this is yet another bucket experiment you can do with a calibrated seneye. Set up a skip cycle bucket reef with fish in it, bioballs in a filter hooked to it, and get an nh3 baseline going from the seneye

pull off the bioballs filter and see if the nh3 levels change

then start pulling out rocks and see how many have to be removed before the fish bioload can’t be carried. I predict a mere 10% of the original rock structure still carries the whole system if the rocks are in the display area right where the fish are

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

as if removing -bacteria- from a bio system won’t lower the filtration ability….

it won’t, it doesn’t, here’s sixty pages of us using the new rules for real reef tank work:

in that thread in several jobs we removed 100% of the extra surface area from established reef tanks so we can move homes or upgrade / change tanks, leaving only some or all of the original rockwork (keeping the same fish load) and not one tank died

why is that

if someone sells me a dually and I remove the two extra back tires I can still drive down the freeway

bioballs, ceramic spheres, bio matrix, reef tank sand, and about 70% of people’s live rock are just two extra tires attached to the reef vehicle. For the bioloads we carry, even in lots of fish setups, thirty percent of the rock we use is still more than the system needs. So this means in all of reefing, all of it per the thread above, if we just keep some or all of the original live rock in the display we are free to do what we want with reef tanks and all the filtration surface area we were trained to use (you can remove it without harm)

old cycling science removes options of cleaning, handling and reef care by supplanting in concern over bacteria

new cycling science adds new options to reefing care, handling and procedure by instilling complete confidence in bacteria even where numbers are reduced. New cycling science knows to factor surface area and placement in reef jobs

Casper this is yet another bucket experiment you can do with a calibrated seneye. Set up a skip cycle bucket reef with fish in it, bioballs in a filter hooked to it, and get an nh3 baseline going from the seneye

then start pulling out rocks and see how many have to be removed before the fish bioload can’t be carried. I predict a mere 10% of the original rock structure still carries the whole system if the rocks are in the display area right where the fish are
Thank you for that info in all seriousness, it's really helpful. I have always been a "more rock more better" type person but it's comforting to know it's not required and the universe won't collapse if rock sand etc. is removed for whatever reason

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I always thought the same too....figured more the better. Good to know if I want to remove it down the road I can, but as of now it's not hurting anything so i'll keep it in place (good breeding ground for my pods!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are biofilter but also condominium flats for other life. If they are porous and water is getting into the center, then they could have anoxic bacteria doing some work. They might not. Hard to know. If your no3 level rises, then the ceramic media did likely have some anoxic bacteria turning no3 into N gas.

Looking at the tank, you likely have more things consuming fish waste directly than needs to enter the nitrogen cycle. Your ammonia oxidizing bacteria levels are not likely all that high with so many direct consumers, but nobody could even guess at the anaerobic side.

More rock usually is better, but if you are just worried about one small piece of an ecosystem like processing ammonia, then you are missing a larger picture of places for other sorts of bacteria to live that corals could then catch in their slime coats, more places for worms, pods, starfish to hang and feed, etc.

BigFig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

why is that

I just proved you wrong. After removing 40 lbs of live rock from my sump, (180 lbs sitting in the display) Nitrates shot up from remaining stable at 6 for months, to 11 in one week. Nothing else changed. That is a measurable change.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s really consequential I hope the reef survives a small nitrate rise.

I’m sure dislodging a bunch of detritus during the move and putting it into suspension didn’t factor.

BigFig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, seeing as you seemed like such an authority and matter of fact with your experience, I thought I'd share some measurable change with you.

BigFig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sure dislodging a bunch of detritus during the move and putting it into suspension didn’t factor.
I'm certain dislodging detritus didn't factor, as the removal happened 6 days ago. Not trying to hurt your feelings. Just hoping you understand that your experience, or mine for that matter, isn't going to be universal.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bag of ceramic bio balls that came with my eShopps Deskmate in the rear chamber of the tank. Been in there for 10 months now, and the tank is doing great. Will I need to remove them at some point, or will it be just like live rock and I can leave them in there.

In all my other tanks I've only ever used live rock and rock rubble, so wanted to make sure I can keep them in there.

Thank you!

Tank in it's current form:
IMG_8079.JPG

Rear Chamber:
IMG_8081.JPG
On another note, that's a cool looking tank. Is the orange color a lighting effect or orange acrylic?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back